England Announces Squads for Pakistan Series, Freya Kemp returns in the mix

The 2024 summer of cricket in England is underway with plenty of domestic action, and the international season is slated to commence in a few days, with the England women’s team scheduled to play Pakistan in a 6-match white-ball series from the 11th to the 29th of May. A few days out from the home series, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has unveiled its squads.

All-rounder Freya Kemp, who made a successful return to international cricket late last year, was surprisingly named in the ‘A’ squad for England’s tour of New Zealand in March-April. However, she impressed with 257 runs from 6 games and has earned her spot back in the Twenty20 International (T20I) squad. Kemp continues to be among the runs in the ongoing domestic season, and it is to be noted that she hasn’t bowled yet and won’t do so at least in this series.

Besides Freya Kemp’s return to the senior setup, the retention of off-spinner Linsey Smith highlights the squad announcement. Smith made a comeback to the senior setup for the series against New Zealand after last playing for England in 2019. Although she didn’t have a very successful tour of New Zealand, she is rightly backed considering the forthcoming World Cup in Bangladesh, while also being rewarded for her consistent domestic performances.

Tammy Beaumont, Sophia Dunkley, and Hollie Armitage, who were part of the T20I squad selected for the series against New Zealand in March-April 2024, have been dropped from the squad for the upcoming series against Pakistan. In the ODIs, Danielle Gibson and Bess Heath have been left out. Notably, Sarah Glenn, who was sidelined mid-series against New Zealand, is set to make her return to action against Pakistan, being named in both the T20I and ODI squads.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: England vs Pakistan | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

England’s T20I squad for Pakistan series – Heather Knight (C), Lauren Bell, Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Charlie Dean, Sophie Ecclestone, Lauren Filer, Danielle Gibson, Sarah Glenn, Bess Heath, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Linsey Smith, Danielle Wyatt

The inclusion of veterans Tammy Beaumont and Kate Cross, who are sidelined in the T20I squad, serves to bolster the ODI side even further. Their presence is poised to provide valuable leadership and stability, enhancing the team’s prospects in the longer format.

England’s ODI squad for Pakistan series – Heather Knight (C), Tammy Beaumont, Lauren Bell, Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Charlie Dean, Sophie Ecclestone, Lauren Filer, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Danielle Wyatt

England and Pakistan last faced each other in a bilateral series back in 2019 at a neutral venue, and this upcoming tour marks Pakistan’s first visit to England since 2016. The England versus Pakistan affairs have been one-sided, with England dominating; winning 11 out of 12 ODIs, with one ending without a result, and claiming victory in 14 out of 15 T20Is. England enters the series with high confidence following a flawless tour of New Zealand, while Pakistan suffered a series defeat to the West Indies on home soil, indicating a challenging task ahead for them on this tour.

With the 2024 T20 World Cup scheduled for later this year, England’s head coach Jon Lewis talked about the Pakistan series serving as an opportunity to build and develop. Quoting Jon, “These two series against Pakistan give us an opportunity to build, develop and ensure we are in the best place come the World Cup in Bangladesh in September. We are very keen whenever possible to make sure all the players vying for places in the World Cup squad get opportunities to play cricket this summer so that they are able to put in performances that help secure a place in the squad for Bangladesh.”

Also Read:  Alice Capsey's all-round show bundles Pakistan for just 79 to claim T20I series victory

Pakistan’s tour of England, series schedule –

DATE MATCH VENUE TIME (LOCAL)
11-May-24 1st T20I Edgbaston, Birmingham 2:30 PM
17-May-24 2nd T20I The County Ground, Northampton 6:30 PM
19-May-24 3rd T20I Headingley, Leeds 1:00 PM
23-May-24 1st ODI The Incora County Ground, Derby 1:00 PM
26-May-24 2nd ODI The Cooper Associates County Ground, Taunton 11:00 AM
29-May-24 3rd ODI The Cloud County Ground, Chelmsford 1:00 PM
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here