Matthew Mott to continue his head coach duties for the Australian women’s cricket team

With just few days left for the upcoming T20 Women’s World cup, Australia has an update as Matthew Mott has extended his contract for the head coach of the side. His responsibilities will last till the end of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand.

Matthew Mott
Matthew Mott

Naturally, his immediate duties will be the highlight for the Australian team, the upcoming ICC tournament, Mott will be behind the girls to enhance their performance as they are the table toppers in the ICC rankings and favorites playing on the home ground. Australia has lifted the cup 4 times and are by far the most successful team in the competition’s history. They are also the defending Champions as they won the last edition in Windies. Australia will lock horns against India for the tournament’s opener in Sydney.

“We are thrilled that he has agreed to extend his tenure as Head Coach of the Australian Women’s Team beyond the 2021 World Cup,” said Ben Oliver, Cricket Australia’s Executive General Manager of National Teams.

“Mott is regarded as one of the game’s elite coaches across the cricket-playing world. Mott has played a leading role in that evolution. The eyes of the nation will be watching the team when Australia hosts the women’s Twenty 20 World Cup next month, and I have no doubt Mott and the entire squad will do the country proud.”

Mott is a credible individual when it comes to coaching and he has done wonders in his time. He had a big role in rise of Australia ever since he took over the role from Cathryn Fitzpatrick in March 2015. Before the T20 World Cup 2018 triumph, Australia ended their 2016 world cup as runner ups, They won the 2015 Ashes in England and retained the trophy, primarily drawing the 2017-18 edition at home, before fully dominating their arch-rivals in home conditions the previous year. Out all of these great victories, what benchmarks the Aussies is their 18-match winning streak in ODI’s and they definitely would like to continue it.

Also Read:  Mel Jones support Sophie Devine to break Deandra Dottin's Fastest Century Record

The 46-year-old is excited to be a part of the set-up, in what will be an action-packed season for Australia.

“Coaching this group has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I’m delighted to have been given the opportunity to continue in the role,” Mott said. “This is a special time to be involved in women’s cricket in Australia, with a successful stand-alone WBBL flowing into a home Twenty20 World Cup. I am excited to see how far this group can go and inspire the next generation of Australian cricketers.”

Source: ICC

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here