Australia thrash New Zealand by Massive 141 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table

On Sunday, in the 11th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, New Zealand were chasing 270 in 50 overs against Australia.

Batting first, Australia posted a fighting total of 269 Runs on board, riding on Half-centuries from Ellyse Perry, Tahlia McGrath and an outstanding cameo by Ashleigh Gardner who muscled 48 Runs in just 18 Balls.

Australia thrash New Zealand by Massive 141 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Australia thrash New Zealand by Massive 141 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images

New Zealand got off to a steady start putting up 22 in 4.3 overs, thanks to the opening pair of captain Sophie Devine (6 runs off 6 balls) and Suzie Bates before Devine was sent packing by Ellyse Perry in the fifth over of the innings. After the departure of Devine, New Zealand’s top and middle-order made a beeline to the pavilion as they lost half of their side in the 12th over.

The White Ferns were struggling at 5-35 with all the big names, including Bates (16 runs off 28 balls) and Amelia Kerr (1 run off 3 balls) back in the hut. Southpaw Amy Satterthwaite and wicket-keeper Katey Martin (19 runs off 27 balls) then came together to stitch a 38-run partnership for the sixth wicket. New Zealand kept losing wickets at regular intervals as there were no big partnerships. Towards the end, Lea Tahuhu muscled a 25-ball 23 but the target of 270 was too daunting to be chased. Satterthwaite top scored with 44 runs off 67 balls and was the lone warrior for the hosts. New Zealand were bowled out for a paltry 128 in 30.2 overs, losing the match by a massive margin of 141 runs.

For Australia, the young right-arm speedster Darcie Brown was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-22 in her seven overs, taking the new ball with Perry. The spin twins of Amanda Jade Wellington and Ashleigh Gardner struck with two wickets each. Perry, Tahlia McGrath, and Megan Schutt chipped in with one wicket apiece. The Australian fielding looked good in patches, however, there were three dropped catches, an area which they will need to address for the rest of the tournament.

Also Read:  All you need to know about Women’s National Cricket League (WNCL)

Australia’s Ellyse Perry won the player of the match for her match-winning all-round performance. The right-handed batter mustered 68 runs off 86 balls and with the ball picked up 1-18 in her five overs, bowling right arm medium pace.

With this win, Australia have pocketed three straight wins in their World Cup campaign, while New Zealand have won two out of their four matches in the tournament so far.

Australia and New Zealand will play their next fixtures on March 19 against India and on March 17 against South Africa respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here