Ashleigh Gardner’s 18 ball 48 Runs help Australia put 269 against rivals New Zealand

On Sunday, Australia and New Zealand locked horns against each other in the 11th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. New Zealand won the toss and elected to bowl.

Ashleigh Gardner's 18 ball 48 Runs help Australia put 269 against rivals New Zealand. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Ashleigh Gardner’s 18 ball 48 Runs help Australia put 269 against rivals New Zealand. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Batting first, Australia got off to a steady start as the opening pair of Alyssa Healy (30 runs off 44 balls) and Rachael Haynes put together 37 runs in 9.5 overs before Healy was sent packing by the right arm off-spinner Frances Mackay. Captain Meg Lanning, who walked in at number three departed early as she managed to score just five runs off 15 balls in the 15th over. Haynes also made her way back to the pavilion in the successive over and suddenly Australia were struggling at 56-3 in 15.1 overs. The Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry and southpaw Beth Mooney (30 runs off 44 balls) then came together and stitched a 57-run partnership for the fourth wicket to consolidate the innings. However, the highest partnership of the innings was piled up by Perry and star all-rounder Tahlia McGrath as they mustered 101 runs for the fifth wicket. Perry top scored for Australia with a masterclass 68 off 86 balls, while McGrath plundered a 56-ball 57. Towards the end, Ashleigh Gardner, who was just playing her first World Cup match this year, muscled an unbeaten 18-ball 48 to power Australia to a fighting total of 269-8 in 50 overs.

For New Zealand, the right arm pace sensation Lea Tahuhu was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-53 in her nine overs. Tahuhu bowled well in the middle overs and provided the White Ferns with the necessary breakthroughs. She received good support from Hannah Rowe, Frances Mackay, Hayley Jensen, and Amelia Kerr, who struck with one wicket apiece. Jess Kerr, who opened the bowling for New Zealand was the only bowler to go wicket-less. With respect to fielding, New Zealand dropped a couple of catches to give respite to Alana King and Gardner.

Australia have set a target of 270 for New Zealand. Can New Zealand chase down the target and register their third win of their World Cup campaign? Or will Australia pocket their third straight win in the tournament? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Australia players continue their rise in the latest ICC Rankings

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here