Heather Knight Column: “I get goosebumps imagining what retaining the Trophy would mean”

Team England is already in New Zealand for the upcoming ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup to be played from March 4 to April 3. There will be a lot of expectations from England, who are the defending champions. England’s captain Heather Knight, who is in quarantine in the New Zealand government’s facility alongside her teammates took out some time to pen down her thoughts about the upcoming World Cup.

Heather Knight keeps a tight hold on the Women’s World Cup trophy. Photograph: Harry Trump-IDI/IDI via Getty Images
Heather Knight keeps a tight hold on the Women’s World Cup trophy. Photograph: Harry Trump-IDI/IDI via Getty Images

The last couple of years have not been easy for the players as they have traveled in the bubble complying with all the COVID-19 norms. Not all players are comfortable being in the bubble and given the present situation, the England team have been coping with this really well. They have kept themselves busy, thanks to some of the players who have taken exciting initiatives to keep the team up and running.

Knight wrote in her column, “Sophie Ecclestone has been running HIIT classes on Zoom, Freya Davies organised a brilliant quiz (including ‘Guess the baby picture’, which was brilliant) and I’ve taken some inspiration from watching a documentary on the first all-female crew to take part in the Whitbread Round the World Race. It’s called Maiden and it features some amazing women – a documentary that I would very much recommend.”

Prior to heading to New Zealand, England played the Women’s Ashes in Australia. Things did not go in England’s favour as they lost the multi-format series dearly. They lost all the three ODIs that were played as a part of the Women’s Ashes. However, after the series, the England captain reckoned that the team did not have enough mental energy to put up a strong fight against a quality side like Australia in the three-match ODI series, which was played after a three-match T20I series and one-off Test in the Women’s Ashes.

Though England did not enjoy success in Australia, there is no denying the fact that they are a competitive side and can take down any opposition with their sheer cricketing abilities. The defending champions will be under some pressure to retain the Cup but would certainly want to enjoy themselves in New Zealand.

England’s captain signed off by saying, “I sometimes get goosebumps imagining what retaining the trophy would mean to the game back home, to all those young girls, and to each and every one of the players and staff who give everything they have for this team.”

England begin their World Cup campaign on March 5 as they will take on Australia at Seddon Park in Hamilton. England will also play a couple of warm-up matches against Bangladesh and South Africa on February 28 and March 2 respectively.

Also Read:  Practice matches for Women's World Cup 2017 announced

Source: ICC’s Online Media Zone

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here