Alana King’s hat-trick help Trent Rockets defend 119 against Manchester Originals

Match 3 of the Hundred saw Trent Rockets and Manchester Originals lock horns at Old Trafford. Trent Rockets having put in to bat first only could manage to get to a respectful total, but bowled their hearts out to dismiss the Manchester Originals cheaply and bag a commanding win.

Alana King's hat-trick help Trent Rockets defend 119 against Manchester Originals. PC: Getty Images
Alana King’s hat-trick help Trent Rockets defend 119 against Manchester Originals. PC: Getty Images

1st innings: Trent Rockets – 119/5 (100)

Manchester Originals won the toss and opted to field first. Trent Rockets had Bryony Smith get off the mark with a single and on the other end, Elyse Villani scored a boundary off her 2nd ball but was dismissed on the very next ball on 4(3) by Hannah Jones. Bryony Smith got a couple to the fence but on the other end lost a couple of partners in Marie Kelly who after scoring a couple of boundaries on 9(10) was dismissed by Deandra Dottin and Mignon du Preez who on 9(9) was struck by Kate Cross before being dismissed on 16(14) to Ecclestone.

Katherine Brunt playing the anchor’s role alongside Abigail Freeborn who was displaying a counterattack formed a crucial 45-run partnership that came to a close with the wicket of Brunt on 13(17) as Dottin struck. Alana King walked out and alongside a set, Abigail struck a few clean ones to and over the fence in the 31-run stand to close on the innings on 119 with the duo unbeaten on 19(9) and 45(38) respectively. Manchester Originals had Deandra Dottin with a couple, top the wickets chart. All 6 bowlers did bowl very economical spells with the standout being Kate Cross who conceded only 19 runs, bowled 9 dot deliveries and bagged a wicket off her 20 balls.

Also Read:  Match 11: London Spirit vs Southern Brave | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

2nd innings : Manchester Originals – 76/10 (87)

Manchester Originals chasing a total of 119 were underway in style as Lizelle Lee struck a maximum off the very first ball and followed it with a couple of boundaries, while Bryce handed Emma Lamb on the other end a two-ball duck. Deliveries later, Alana King dismissed Deandra Dottin on a two-ball duck and with Lizelle Lee soon departing on 17(13) off Bryce’s bowling, the chase got worse for Originals in no way time.

There came a very little resistance phase that ended with Sarah Glenn’s introduction as she created an instant impact dismissing Amy Satterthwaite on 9(15). It wasn’t late before Alana King came on and dismissed Cordelia Griffith on 12(15) and then handed golden ducks to Sophie Ecclestone and Kate Cross to complete her hat-trick. Little late runs pushed Trent Rockets’ wins as Ami Campbell scored 13(18) before being dismissed by King. Bryony Smith then bagged one in dismissing Threlkeld on 7(12) and the final wicket had come off a run-out which saw Hannah Jones run out on 2(4). Trent Rockets won the contest by 43 runs, it was a collectively bowling performance which saw 4 of their 5 bowlers have very economical outings with Alana King being the standout having bagged 4 wickets for 15 runs, which had 13 dots off her 20 deliveries.

It turned out to be an excellent outing for Trent Rockets who after failing to deliver with the bat, did exceedingly well with the ball to bag a commanding win and have got their campaign underway with an exciting start. Whereas, it has been a disappointing start for the Manchester Originals who after having a fantastic bowling outing, completely failed to perform with the bat in hand.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  3rd T20I - England Clean Sweeps listless New Zealand 3-0 to win T20I series
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here