South Africa announced ODI squad for the series against Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka’s tour of South Africa included a thrilling 3-match T20I series and is now gearing up for a 3-match ODI series. The T20I series started on March 27th with South Africa winning the opener but faced defeat in the subsequent matches, allowing Sri Lanka to clinch their inaugural women’s series victory over South Africa in any format.

The ODI leg is scheduled to commence on April 9th, wrapping up on April 17th. Adding to South Africa’s squad for the ODI series is the inclusion of teenage wicketkeeper-batter, Karabo Meso. The 16-year-old prodigy, who debuted in the second T20I against Sri Lanka, has now earned a spot in the 14-member squad for the ODIs.

Meso showcased her abilities during last year’s ICC Women’s U19 T20 World Cup, earning a spot in the Team of the Tournament. She accumulated 80 runs at an average of 26.66 and a strike rate of 103.89, coupled with notable actions behind the stumps, effecting eight dismissals in five matches, the highest in the tournament for a wicketkeeper.

Laura Wolvaardt will be leading the ODI series. The squad will miss the experienced all-rounder Chloe Tryon due to a back injury. Delmi Tucker fills in as Tryon’s replacement, while Annerie Dercksen who was the part of the T20I series, has been omitted.

South Africa’s ODI squad –

Laura Wolvaardt (c), Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Nadine de Klerk, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Suné Luus, Eliz-Mari Marx, Karabo Meso, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Tumi Sekhukhune Delmi Tucker

These upcoming ODIs hold significance for the ICC Women’s Championship, a determinant for direct qualification to the 2025 Women’s Cricket World Cup in India. South Africa currently holds the second position in the standings with 20 points in 15 games, whereas Sri Lanka occupies the eighth spot with 11 points in 15 games.

Also Read:  Brisbane Heat signs Nadine de Klerk, Anika Learoyd roped in by Sydney Thunders for WBBL06

Ahead of the ODI opener, eyeing direct World Cup qualification, veteran keeper-batter Sinalo Jafta said, “We understand how important it is to get to the World Cup without going through qualifiers. We are sitting third or fourth on the standings and (the key) for us is to literally have a strong start like we had in (the T20I opener) Benoni, and put our heads down to work to get the six points we need,” to IOL.

Schedule for ODI series –

South Africa Women VS Sri Lanka Women 1st ODI 9th April, East London
South Africa Women VS Sri Lanka Women 2nd ODI 13th April, Kimberley
South Africa Women VS Sri Lanka Women 3rd ODI 17th April, Potchefstroom

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here