Series Preview: South Africa Women’s tour of New Zealand 2020 | Schedule | Squad

Cricket is followed by billions of people around the globe. It has a distinct flavor of all games. The love and anticipation for the game go high to its peak with every world cup. Cricketing world gets most viewers in the world cup season. Something precious and significant is associated with ICC events.

New Zealand vs South Africa. Pic Credits: ICC
New Zealand vs South Africa. Pic Credits: ICC

From times immemorial, people have cherished battles of the best. This desire stretches to all major sports and sporting events. Added to the might of a world cup, many teams feel the expectation to grab their maiden trophy. There are a million of fans with hopes and billions watching and tracking every delivery. Withing few days, fans will see the world cup fever reach the heads.

Amidst this vibrancy, two teams shall compete in the Australian continent. New Zealand and South Africa are scheduled to lock horns in a bilateral series starting 25th January. World Cup has a unique meaning for these teams. With series being played in the backdrop of the upcoming world cup, every step and every strategy will be seen in lights of the event. This series is more relevant because they are played on kiwi conditions which offer good grounds to test and suit the team for the Aussie challenge.

The pitches in New Zealand offer more bounce and pace to pacers. Nonetheless, the small grounds make up. The one-day format provides ample opportunities for testing team combinations. The proximity of kiwi and Aussie pitches will be a great aspect too. However, the series shall carry more importance in the minds. Both the nations have had their bests in the field and yet have, still, an empty cabinet to stare at. The kiwi 2019 was no less than a shocker.

Also Read:  Sune Luus's fiery spell helps proteas clean sweep New Zealand in ODI series

The men’s world cup final shall linger upon the memory of the side and the fans for a long time. Nonetheless, it is a golden opportunity for New Zealanders to script new dawn. The women’s team has the baggage of two runners up seasons and would look to change the tides. Protea, on the other hand, would fight with themselves and against the age-old traditions of losing nerves. The cricketing phase in South Africa can be well defined by the word “transition”.

With the retirement of veteran names, new faces have made their way into the side. The slate is fresh for the women in green. Both teams have been strong on paper since the inception of ICC events. However, the series in New Zealand will help them locate and evaluate where they stand in the quest of the trophy. The teams are in a great search for a world cup win and with a series in the Aussie backyard, both sides will look to polish their arsenals. The encounters are expected to be close and prepare contenders of the cup to seize it.

Protea Women’s ODI squad for the New Zealand tour:

Dane Van Niekerk (captain – Eastern Province), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Lizelle Lee (North West), Mignon Du Preez (Northerns), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Sune Luus (Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain – KZN Coastal), Shabnim Ismail (KZN Coastal), Ayabonga Khaka (Gauteng), Masabata Klaas (North West), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Trisha Chetty (KZN Coastal), Nonkululeko Mlaba (KZN Coastal), Nadine De Klerk (Western Province), Nondumiso Shangase (KZN Coastal)

Also Read:  Laura Wolvaardt's unbeaten 124 powers South Africa to a Series Win against New Zealand

ODI fixtures:

January 25 – 1st ODI at Eden Park Outer Oval, Auckland – 01:00

January 27 – 2nd ODI at Eden Park Outer Oval, Auckland – 01:00

January 30 – 3rd ODI at Seddon Park, Hamilton – 03:00

T20I Fixtures:

Feb 02, New Zealand Women vs South Africa Women, 1st T20I
IST 8:30 AM

Feb 06, New Zealand Women vs South Africa Women, 2nd T20I
IST 6:30 AM

Feb 09, New Zealand Women vs South Africa Women, 3rd T20I

Feb 10, New Zealand Women vs South Africa Women, 4th T20I

Feb 13, New Zealand Women vs South Africa Women, 5th T20I

Shubham Kumar

A student who enjoys studying cricket more than anything else, keen to learn the insights of the women’s game.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here