“Coming to India is always exciting. We’re never sure what to expect when we get here,” says Sune Luus

After playing their last international game in March 2020, Women in Blue will be finally back in action, thanks to a home series against South Africa. The two sides will lock horns against each other in a five-match ODI series and a three-match T20I series. The two series will be played between March 7 and March 23 and all the matches will be held at Lucknow.

Marizanne Kapp and Shabnim Ismail move up ICC Rankings
Marizanne Kapp and Shabnim Ismail

The two cricket boards have announced their respective squads. Unlike India, which has been away from cricketing action, South Africa has had a successful limited-overs series against Pakistan and can be said are relatively better prepared than the Women in Blue going into the contest.

The Proteas will miss the services of their regular captain Dane Van Niekerk and senior player Chloe Tryon as both are out due to injuries. Sune Luus will pick up from where she left against Pakistan and will continue to lead the side in India. The 25-year all-rounder had a wonderful stint as a captain against Pakistan as she led her side to a 3-0 whitewash in the ODI series and 2-1 win in the T20I series.

“Coming to India is always exciting. We’re never sure what to expect when we get here. For this trip, we’ve never played on the ground, we don’t know what it looks like or what the conditions will be like. I think it will be the same for India as well. So I think it’s going to be an even contest,” Luus said.

She further added, “They have players like Mithali Raj, Harmanpreet Kaur and all those players, who we know are top quality. But I think we are well-prepared to face them. We’ve also had game-time behind us and I don’t think they’ve had that, which I’m hoping will be an advantage for us. I think, after having no cricket for nearly a year, having two tours in quick succession is really exciting. It really helps with our preparation for the World Cup next year and I think the more cricket we play now the better it will be for us to come to the finals in New Zealand. I think every match we play we need to capitalize on and make the most of the opportunity.”

Also Read:  Indrani Roy gets a maiden India call, Sneh Rana makes a comeback after five years

Sune Luus’s quotes sourced from India Today

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here