5 Indian Players to Watch in the Upcoming T20I series vs South Africa

India lost the ODI series to the Proteas by 4-1 and is all set to host them again for a three-match T20 International series starting 20th March 2021, which will be held at the Ekana Stadium in Lucknow. Here’s a list of five Indian players who’re very close to setting a record in their T20I career –

1. Jemimah Rodrigues:

Jemimah Rodrigues. PC: ICC
Jemimah Rodrigues. PC: ICC

The 20-year-old, who made her T20I debut in the year 2018 has 930 runs to her international career. She is just 70 runs away from crossing the 1000-runs mark in the Twenty-20 format of the game. Having played 44 matches and 39 innings, she will become the fourth Indian woman cricketer to achieve this feat.

1. Shafali Verma:

Shafali Verma attains number one spot in ICC Women's T20I rankings |  Cricket – Gulf News
Shafali Verma. PC: Getty Images

The 17-year-old, who made her debut in the year 2019 already has 487 runs in her international career bag and is just 13 runs away from completing 500 T20I international career runs. Having played just 19 matches, the right-hand batter will become the 7th Indian player to reach this feat.

1. Deepti Sharma:

Deepti Sharma Arjuna Awards
Deepti Sharma Arjuna Awards

The 23-year-old all-rounder has played 48 matches and batted in 35 innings since her debut in 2016. She is also close to the 500-run mark as she currently has 423 runs to her name in T20I Internationals. She also holds fourth place in ICC’s T20I all-rounders’ ranking list.

1. Poonam Yadav:

Poonam Yadav. Pic Credits: Getty Images
Poonam Yadav. Pic Credits: Getty Images

The 29-year-old, who made her debut back in the year 2013, needs just 5 more wickets to get 100 T20I wickets. The leg break googly bowler, who is currently ranked No. 9 in the ICC T20I Bowler’s list will become the first Indian and the 5th player world-wide to reach this mark of 100 Twenty-20 International wickets.

1. Radha Yadav:

Radha Yadav during the India 'A' women's match against England at the Brabourne Stadium recently. Pic/Suresh Karkera
Radha Yadav during the India ‘A’ women’s match against England at the Brabourne Stadium recently. Pic/Suresh Karkera

Also Read:  Preview: 6th T20I - India Women vs South Africa Women, Squads, Head-to-Head, Dream-XI Fantasy Tips

The 20-year-old, who made her debut in the year 2018 is just one wicket away from completing her 50 T20I international wickets. The left-arm orthodox spinner had 49 wickets to her name having played 35 matches and ranks at No. 8 in the ICC T20I Bowler’s list with a rating of 705 points.

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here