1st T20I – Tazmin Brits’ Half-Century help South Africa seal a Comfortable Win over Pakistan

After a one-sided ODI series that ended in South Africa’s favor, it was time for the T20I series. Pakistan having lost the ODI series 0-3 would have hoped to turn their fortunes in the limited-overs format, however, the hosts continued their winning spree.

Tazmin Brits scores a Half Century in the 1st T20I. PC: OfficialCSA/Twitter
Tazmin Brits scores a Half Century in the 1st T20I. PC: OfficialCSA/Twitter

The first of the three T20Is was played on Friday at Durban. Winning the toss and electing to bat first, Pakistan posted a modest 124-8 in 20 overs. Ayesha Naseem top scored with 31, with Muneeba Ali (21), Kainat Imtiaz (24), and Nida Dar (22 not out) making some useful contributions. Marizanne Kapp was the pick of the bowlers for Proteas as she scalped 3-24 in her four overs. Kapp found an able ally in Shabnim Ismail as the pace spearhead picked up 2-20 in her four.

In reply, South Africa quite comfortably chased down the target in 19 overs, winning the match by eight wickets. The opening pair of Lizelle Lee (22) and Tazmin Brits (52 not out) provided a solid start to the run chase. The duo stitched a 38 run partnership in 6.3 overs. After the fall of Lee, Marizanne Kapp (28) joined hands with Brits to ensure that the chase was safe and sound. With just 18 runs to get, Laura Wolvaardt came in the middle and scored a quickfire 15 off 10. She smashed a couple of boundaries in her brief stay at the crease. The standout performer with the bat for the hosts was Tazmin Brits as she scored an unbeaten half-century. Brits was a treat to watch. She played all around the ground and saw her team home. For Pakistan, it was only Aiman Anwer, who was among the wickets. Anwer accounted for 2-29 in her four overs.

South Africa lead the three-match T20I series 1-0. The second T20I between the two sides will be played on January 31 at the same venue.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: South Africa vs Sri Lanka | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

Brief Scores: Pakistan 124-8 in 20 overs (A Naseem 31, K Imtiaz 24; M Kapp 3-24, S Ismail 2-20) lost to South Africa 125-2 in 19 overs (T Brits 52 not out, M Kapp 28; A Anwer 2-29) by eight wickets

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here