Courtney Walsh says his previous association with West Indies Women will help foster success

Courtney Walsh, who holds the record for the most Test wickets by a West Indies player, joined the coaching staff headed by former team-mate Gus Logie, ahead of Friday’s start of the one-day series against India. As he resumes his duties with all warmth and positivity to provide his best to the team.

Courtney Walsh
Courtney Walsh. Pic Credits: News18

“The ladies have been very warm and receptive and listened to what I’ve got to say. They are not afraid of trying and implementing what I’ve been telling them,” Walsh said. “I think one of the advantages I have, is that I was involved in women’s cricket before as a selector and I was part of a couple of their training camps, so they know me and they’ve seen me around. “They know I want the best for them and they appreciate that, so for me, it’s a plus coming back into the fold of the women’s team now.”

Walsh is coming after completing his four-year tenure with Bangladesh’s men team as a coach . Walsh said he was looking forward to forming a strong partnership with Logie in helping to develop the women’s unit. “My function is to focus a lot more on the bowlers and the cricket, in general, to get the ladies together,” he pointed out. “I’m just happy to be able to work with Gus – we haven’t had a chance to be on the same team since we were players and we just want the women to play the type of cricket we know they can play.”

Director of cricket, Jimmy Adams, said there were high expectations for the new management group.“Gus has been involved with the program for the past two years and both Rayon and Courtney bring with them a strong working knowledge of what it takes to be successful at the elite level.” The second ODI of the three-match series is to be held on Sunday at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground. West Indies lead the series after winning the opener by a single run at the same venue.

Also Read:  Summary: 2nd T20I – Deepti Sharma and Shafali Verma hand India second victory in the series against West Indies

THE TEAM MANAGEMENT UNIT:
Gus Logie – Interim Head Coach
Evril Betty Lewis – Interim Team Manager
Courtney Walsh – Assistant Coach
Rayon Griffith – Assistant Coach
Matthew Parchment – Physiotherapist
Shayne Cooper – Strength and Conditioning Coach
Gary Belle – Team Analyst
Amanda Johnson – Sports Psychologist
Naasira Mohammed – Team Media Officer

Source: guardian.co.tt

Loves all things female cricket