New Zealand Women’s squad for series against England announced, starts 19th of March

In a World Cup year and their first series of the year, New Zealand is due to play England in 5 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) and 3 One-Day Internationals from the 19th of March, 2024, to the 7th of April. The return of Rosemary Mair and Brooke Halliday, alongside Leigh Kasperek into the T20I side, highlights the squad reveals for the home series.

New Zealand Women's squad for series against England announced, starts 19th of March
New Zealand Women’s squad for series against England announced, starts 19th of March

The returning trio has been rewarded for their outstanding form in both the Hallyburton Johnstone Shield (50-over competition) and the Women’s Super Smash (20-over competition).

Brooke Halliday (28) missed the home white-ball series against Pakistan due to a foot injury and returned for the Auckland Hearts during the business end of the Super Smash, but only managed a string of starts. However, in her first One Day game on return, she notched up a century (108) and followed up with a 33. From 24 ODI innings, she’s scored over 500 runs and is yet to fire in T20Is, scoring 123 runs from 16 innings.

Rosemary Mair (25) hasn’t played an international game since mid-2022, though she was named in the touring contingent for the Sri Lanka series last year. Rosemary was brilliant throughout this domestic season, scoring 65 runs from 5 innings and bagging 14 wickets from 10 Smash outings while striking 8 and accumulating 122 runs from 4 HJS outings.

Leigh Kasperek (32) amassed 277 runs and claimed 18 wickets from 11 HJS appearances, finishing with 17 wickets from 10 Smash games. Runs off her blade had dried up towards the end of the season; nonetheless, she was consistent with the ball throughout the season and is a welcome return to the side since the ’23 Sri Lanka tour. Capped 87 times, the all-rounder is nearing the 150-wicket milestone.

Also Read:  List of 23 overseas players in Women's Big Bash League 2022

New Zealand’s squad for England series:

Sophie Devine (C), Suzie Bates, Bernadine Bezuidenhout (WK), Izzy Gaze (WK), Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Jess Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu, Eden Carson (T20Is 1, 2 and 3), Leigh Kasperek (T20Is 4 and 5), Georgia Plimmer (only ODIs)

New Zealand’s trio of Sophie Devine, Amelia Kerr, and Lea Tahuhu are named in the squad, but they are currently engaged in the ongoing 02 edition of the Women’s Premier League, which concludes on March 17, and their participation, at least for the T20I opener, isn’t certain just yet. Three standby players for the first T20I could be named as cover for the trio closer to the series.

The bilateral series kicks off on the 10th of March, 2024, with the first of two T20s between the A-sides. New Zealand will name their T20 side for a couple of T20 games against England A on March 6. Emma Black, Xara Jetly, and Frances Mackay are a few who were consistent across domestic tournaments and will be hoping to make an impact in the A games to put their hands up for national squad selection.

New Zealand v England, series schedule:

DATE EVENT VENUE TIME (LOCAL)
10-Mar-24 1st T20
Sir John Davies Oval, Queenstown
11:00 AM
12-Mar-24 2nd T20 10:00 AM
19-Mar-24 1st T20I University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
1:00 PM
22-Mar-24 2nd T20I
Saxton Oval, Nelson
24-Mar-24 3rd T20I
27-Mar-24 4th T20I
Cello Basin Reserve, Wellington
29-Mar-24 5th T20I
01-Apr-24 1st ODI Cello Basin Reserve, Wellington
11:00 AM
04-Apr-24 2nd ODI
Seddon Park, Hamilton
07-Apr-24 3rd ODI
Also Read:  Match 19: England vs New Zealand Women | Squad | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

In 2023, New Zealand managed to win only 6 out of 12 T20Is and had a 4-4 win-loss record in 9 ODIs, with one game ending in a draw. Given this inconsistent performance, the upcoming England series holds immense significance for them, especially with the World Cup looming. Tough decisions from captaincy and the T20I squad are expected after the T20 World Cup later this year, with the team entering a transition period.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here