Amelia Kerr and Sophie Devine to miss New Zealand’s T20I Opener against England

The White Ferns’ squad for the opening T20I against England is set to miss the dynamic duo of Amelia Kerr and skipper Sophie Devine. The match, scheduled at the University of Otago Oval on Tuesday, March 19th, will witness the absence of these key players due to their engagements in the Women’s Premier League in India.

Amelia Kerr and Sophie Devine to miss New Zealand's T20I Opener against England
Amelia Kerr and Sophie Devine to miss New Zealand’s T20I Opener against England

Amelia Kerr’s campaign was cut short as Mumbai Indians were eliminated following their defeat to Royal Challengers. Travel complications have Kerr stranded in India, making her unavailable for the series opener. Although Sophie Devine, from Royal Challenger’s Bangalore, is set to depart immediately after the WPL final, her return might not ensure her presence for the first match. However, both are anticipated to rejoin the squad for subsequent encounters.

Suzie Bates will lead New Zealand, following the absence of Devine and Kerr, in their quest for victory in Dunedin. In light of this setback, Wellington Blaze’s Georgia Plimmer has been summoned as a replacement, adding depth to the Kiwis’ lineup. Plimmer, a familiar face in the squad, showcased her skills in the recent New Zealand A encounters against England A and is prepared to make an impact in the upcoming fixture. Additionally, the announcement of a second replacement player is awaited, further strengthening the squad’s resilience in the face of adversity.

New Zealand’s head coach Ben Sawyer expressed disappointment over the absence of Kerr and Devine but highlighted the silver lining of providing opportunities for other players to prove their mettle against England’s formidable side. He emphasized Plimmer’s readiness to step up and contribute significantly to the team’s performance in the series opener.

Also Read:  2nd ODI: England vs New Zealand | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

He mentioned, “It’s obviously disappointing not to have Melie or Sophie with us for the series opener, We’ve known that this could be the case for some time now, so we’ve made plans for all scenarios and the positive is that it gives other players an opportunity to test themselves against a strong England side. Georgia has been a regular part of our group for some time now and she’ll be involved in the ODIs – so we have full confidence she can come in and contribute in the opening T20.”

New Zealand squad – T20I v England

Suzie Bates (c), Eden Carson, Bernadine Bezuidenhout (wk), Izzy Gaze (wk), Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Fran Jonas, Jess Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu, 1 player to be added*

As anticipation builds for the clash against England, the Kiwis remain determined to uphold their competitive spirit and make the most of the opportunities presented, epitomizing the essence of teamwork and adaptability in the realm of women’s cricket.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here