Sophie Devine completes 100 T20I Wickets, First New Zealand Bowler to this Milestone

The encounter between New Zealand and South Africa early on the 30th of July had skipper Sophie Devine lead from the front by displaying an all-round ability. As if Sophie Devine the batter wasn’t on an elite list that now Sophie Devine the bowler gets on another to add more glitters to her stature in international cricket which is great to see.

Sophie Devine completes 100 T20I Wickets . PC: Getty Images
Sophie Devine completes 100 T20I Wickets . PC: Getty Images

Sophie Devine the batter helped New Zealand have a great start and also sucked pressure off fellow batter Suzie Bates who could then power them to a strong finish. Sophie Devine took charge and in the final couple of powerplay overs stepped foot on the accelerator and made it could big for her side. She then continued to find boundaries and also didn’t shy running the ones and twos before being dismissed on 48(40), agonizingly falling 2 short of a deserving fifty. Nevertheless, it was skilful and reflected maturity for how long it lasted.

That was Sophie Devine the batter who had a great outing and in the process, she’s now breached into the top 5 run-getters in the shortest T20I format surpassing Charlotte Edwards at 2605. Sophie Devine has now got 2640 runs at a good strike rate of 123.65 in 100 innings in the shortest format. Sophie Devine the bowler has inked her name on yet another list and that’s the 100 T20I wickets club and also happens to be the first women bowler for New Zealand to have got to this great feat.

Sophie Devine in her outing against South Africa realised that she’s got a young pace attack and has got to step up and did it in a fashion that she bagged the big wicket of Laura Wolvaardt and then Sune Luss just before things could slip away from New Zealand. In terms of economic rate, Sophie Devine was expensive, but she had the equally crucial rewards.

Sophie Devine is now a part of the elite 100 T20I wickets club that had Katherine Brunt and Megan Schutt debut in recently. Devine had got there in 91 innings with an economy of 6.36 and with the best figures of 4/22. New Zealand and all of Kiwi fans surely enjoyed the sweet special of Sophie Devine the all-rounder and will now wish for a lot more of it during the Games and that’s a serious threat to all teams out there contesting.

Also Read:  Sri Lanka Women's Team Qualifies for 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here