India has a chance of a Podium Finish at Commonwealth Games, believes Mithali Raj

With the Commonwealth Games days away from the curtain-raiser, Indian great and former skipper, Mithali Raj who recently announced her retirement from international cricket feels the Indian team have got a great chance of a podium finish, provided it has its tactics and strategies in place. Team India has had a decent buildup to their upcoming mega event, the Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022 having just played a series against Sri Lanka.

Team India clean sweeps ODI series 3-0 against Sri Lanka. PC: Twitter
Team India clean sweeps ODI series 3-0 against Sri Lanka. PC: Twitter

Indian great and former skipper Mithali Raj in conversation with a news firm quoted, “I think before any big event, preparation is very important. If you prepare well and because it’s a T20 format and Commonwealth Games if you have your tactics and strategies in place we have a great chance to finish on the podium.”

Indian all-format skipper, Harmanpreet Kaur is one of India’s finest and she’s boldly been leading the side since 2016 and now has grown in confidence and experience to help India fight out tough situations. Mithali in her comment on India’s captain, Harmanpreet Kaur said, “She (Harmanpreet Kaur) has been leading in T20s since 2016, so I think she is experienced enough to lead (the team) in the Commonwealth Games.” India in their last ICC T20 World Cup finished as runner-up losing to Australia and in the 2018 ICC T20 World Cup semi-final lost to England so, it’s only been these big days nerves that India has got to settle and one would expect after having learnt from their past experiences especially, the agonizing 2020 final defeat has India taken notes and are set for the best to come.

A few players of the Indian team did have a good domestic tournament followed by the T20 Women’s Challenger before heading to Sri Lanka where they handed a 1-2 defeat in the T20I series and a 0-3 defeat in the ODI to the hosts. The squad selection is of course a key, it’s the first basic step for any team going into a tournament to get right. India of late hasn’t had their best squad presented, but hopefully, this time around we see the best set of 15 boardings on the flight for the Games in England.

Also Read:  Squad Analysis – Malaysia Women for 2022 Commonwealth Games Cricket Qualifier

India is placed in Group A alongside Australia, Barbados, and Pakistan. India plays their first on the opening day, the curtain-raiser against Australia on the 29th of July. They then play Pakistan and Barbados on the 31st of July and the 3rd of August respectively. Australia for sure are in as favourites and is a side everyone fears playing, but of late India has had them in trouble and has challenged them head to head. Games against Pakistan and Barbados shouldn’t be a lot for India to deal with as there are enough vulnerabilities for India to explore.

With the Commonwealth Games days away from the curtain-raiser, Indian great and former skipper, Mithali Raj who recently announced her retirement from international cricket feels the Indian team have got a great chance of a podium finish, provided it has its tactics and strategies in place. Team India has had a decent buildup to their upcoming mega event, the Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022 having just played a series against Sri Lanka.

Mithali Raj. PC: Getty Images
Mithali Raj. PC: Getty Images

Indian great and former skipper Mithali Raj in conversation with a news firm quoted, “I think before any big event, preparation is very important. If you prepare well and because it’s a T20 format and Commonwealth Games if you have your tactics and strategies in place we have a great chance to finish on the podium.”

Indian all-format skipper, Harmanpreet Kaur is one of India’s finest and she’s boldly been leading the side since 2016 and now has grown in confidence and experience to help India fight out tough situations. Mithali in her comment on India’s captain, Harmanpreet Kaur said, “She (Harmanpreet Kaur) has been leading in T20s since 2016, so I think she is experienced enough to lead (the team) in the Commonwealth Games.” India in their last ICC T20 World Cup finished as runner-up losing to Australia and in the 2018 ICC T20 World Cup semi-final lost to England so, it’s only been these big days nerves that India has got to settle and one would expect after having learnt from their past experiences especially, the agonising 2020 final defeat has India taken notes and are set for the best to come.

Also Read:  Should India include Pooja Vastrakar in Playing XI against Barbados?

Harmanpreet Kaur surpasses Mithali Raj to become India’s leading run-scorer in T20Is. Kaur is also the only Indian batter to score a T20I ton in women’s cricket!. PC: Twitter
Harmanpreet Kaur surpasses Mithali Raj to become India’s leading run-scorer in T20Is. Kaur is also the only Indian batter to score a T20I ton in women’s cricket!. PC: Twitter

A few players of the Indian team did have a good domestic tournament followed by the T20 Women’s Challenger before heading to Sri Lanka where they handed a 1-2 defeat in the T20I series and a 0-3 defeat in the ODI to the hosts. The squad selection is of course a key, it’s the first basic step for any team going into a tournament to get right. India of late hasn’t had their best squad presented, but hopefully, this time around we see the best set of 15 boardings on the flight for the Games in England.

India is placed in Group A alongside Australia, Barbados and Pakistan. India plays their first on an opening day, the curtain-raiser against Australia on the 29th of July. They then play Pakistan and Barbados on the 31st of July and the 3rd of August respectively. Australia for sure are in as favourites and is a side everyone fears playing, but of late India has had them in trouble and has challenged them head to head. Games against Pakistan and Barbados shouldn’t be a lot for India to deal with as there are enough vulnerabilities for India to explore.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here