From Village to WPL: Priya Mishra’s Inspiring Cricket Journey

Despite the initial doubtfulness from her neighbors, Priya Mishra’s determination and talent have shown her the front of women’s cricket in India.

From Village to WPL: Priya Mishra's Inspiring Cricket Journey
From Village to WPL: Priya Mishra’s Inspiring Cricket Journey

Priya’s journey from the rural village of Prayagraj to the streets of Delhi, and now onto the grand stage of the Women’s Premier League with the Gujarat Giants, is a testament to her unwavering commitment to the sport.

As the leading wicket-taker in the Women’s Senior One Day Trophy 2023, with an impressive record of 23 wickets in just eight matches, Priya has not only silenced her critics but has also become an inspiration for aspiring young cricketers. Her rise exemplifies the power of perseverance and passion, showcasing that with hard work and dedication, dreams can indeed become a reality.

Priya found her love for cricket by playing with boys in her neighborhood. She mentioned that she had no idea about the existence of women’s cricket and was in this dilemma that cricket is only a men’s game. Priya Mishra’s journey wasn’t without its challenges, she as a young girl from a village background faced skepticism and doubts about her chosen path. However, with unwavering determination and support from her family, she overcame these obstacles.

Reflecting on her journey, she shared, “My family hails from a village, so the neighbors would often ask my family members ‘Ladki kaise cricket rahi hain?’ (how’s a girl child playing cricket?). But fortunately, my parents have always supported my choice, they never questioned me.”

One of the most remarkable aspects of Priya’s journey is her adaptability. Starting as a medium-pacer, she transitioned to become a leg-spinner at her coach’s suggestion, a move that ultimately proved successful.

Also Read:  Match 20: Delhi Capitals vs Gujarat Giants | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

Priya’s performance in the 2023/24 Women’s Senior One Day Trophy was nothing short of stellar, finishing as the tournament’s leading wicket-taker with 23 wickets. Her focus remains on contributing to the team’s success and delivering her best performance. Despite her rising success, Priya remains grounded and focused on her ultimate goal which she mentions as winning the World Cup for India. Her signing with the Gujarat Giants in the WPL 2024 brings her one step closer to her dream.

Having her idol Mithali Raj as a mentor in the Gujarat Giants was a dream come true for Priya. Mithali’s guidance and encouragement have been invaluable, building confidence in Priya and motivating her to excel in the field.

She mentioned, “Mithali di has always been my cricketing idol, so it is great to have her in the team. She always imparts confidence.”

Priya reflected on her experience with the Gujarat Giants. She described it as a wonderful journey thus far, highlighting the supportive environment and willingness of everyone to assist each other. Priya acknowledged the introduction of numerous innovative fielding drills to her, adding a dynamic aspect to their training sessions. She particularly mentions the guidance of Nooshin Ma’am in bowling practice, emphasizing the incorporation of new techniques and exercises. Her journey with the team seems to be a blend of discovery, learning, and fulfillment.

Priya mentioned, “Mujhe pata nahin tha itne saare drills bhi hote hain (I didn’t know there were so many drills).”

As Priya prepares for her debut in the WPL 2024, she remains fearless by the challenges that lie ahead with an attacking mindset and unwavering determination to take wickets.
She said, “All I know is that whenever I get the chance, I will not be fazed by who the opposition batter is. I will try to get wickets.”

Also Read:  WPL 2024: SWOT Analysis of Gujarat Giants (GG)

Priya Mishra’s journey from playing cricket in her neighborhood to representing her state and now being a part of the WPL 2024 is a witness to her talent, hard work, and resilience.

(Quotes sourced from The Quint)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here