Emotional Scenes after Kanika Ahuja reunites with her RCB Teammates

India’s spin all-rounder Kanika Ahuja, a key player for the Royal Challengers Bangalore, was ruled out of the Women’s Premier League 2024 season due to injury. To fill her spot, Shradda Pokharkara, a left-arm seamer hailing from Maharashtra was selected as her replacement at a reserve price of INR 10 lakh.

Emotional Scenes after Kanika Ahuja reunites with her RCB Teammates.
Emotional Scenes after Kanika Ahuja reunites with her RCB Teammates.

Following the injury and being sidelined from the tournament, Kanika had a reunion with her teammates. Kanika surprised her teammates and her best mate Shreyanka was overwhelmed on seeing her amongst the team and welcomed her with a hug. Renuka Singh, Sobhana Asha, and Richa Ghosh then had exchanges with Kanika.

She then proceeded to greet the support staff and other teammates exchanging smiles and polite meeting. Amidst the interactions, she also had a chat with Sophie Devine adding to the warmth of the moment.

Kanika Ahuja expressed her joy, upon reuniting with her Royal Challengers Banglore’s teammates describing it as a “very happy feeling”. She surprised them with her unexpected arrival and cherished the warm sense of togetherness among them. She compared this meeting to a feeling of reuniting with family. Ahuja highlighted the enjoyment they shared, emphasizing her delight in the bond they had formed.
“Very happy feeling, when I met my teammates after coming here… it felt very good to meet all of them. It felt like a family.”

In a cheeky comment, she humorously remarked, “I have become thin“. Despite facing an injury, Ahuja commended the Banglore management for their prompt and supportive response. She appreciated their efforts in providing her with top-notch medical care and expressed gratitude for their commitment to her rehabilitation.

Also Read:  "I think last one year, a lot of thoughts have gone into this," says Smriti Mandhana on RCB's performance

“Just as I got to know about the injury, I called up the RCB management. When I told them of what had happened, they responded very well, they took me to the best of the best doctors… It felt very good that the franchise was eager to look after my rehab, it was a good feeling!”

Despite her gratitude and determination, Kanika Ahuja couldn’t help but express a tinge of sadness at the thought of missing out on playing for the Banglore side due to her injury. She acknowledges her unwavering support to her teammates, promising to cheer for them from the stands. Ahuja concluded with a determination to uphold the team’s spirit of playing bold, indicating her continued involvement and dedication to her franchise.

“I will miss playing for RCB this season but I will keep cheering for my teammates from the stands, we will play bold this time!”

After a disappointing last season, where after straight five losses, Royal Challengers Banglore could only manage to turn a couple of games in their favor out of the 8 total matches in the tournament. This year they showed promise in their campaign, as they claimed their first victory in their very first outing.

Ahuja played seven of RCB’s eight matches at the previous edition of the WPL last year, she accumulated 98 runs and picked up two wickets. Notably, in the first match of Royal’s victory after a straight five losses, Ahuja played a pivotal role in securing victory for her team, she was named Player of the Match, as she scored 48 runs from 30 deliveries and took 2 catches.

Also Read:  Twitter Reactions: RCB Crowned WPL Champions beating Delhi Capitals

Since last year’s WPL, in June 2023, Ahuja played for India A at the 2023 ACC Women’s T20 Emerging Teams Asia Cup and was named Player of the Match in the final for her unbeaten 30 and claiming two wickets, resulting in India A winning the tournament. Later, she made her Twenty20 International debut in September 2023 against Malaysia.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here