Tarannum Pathan – “Cricket khelne ka keeda bachpan se tha”

Tarannum Pathan, a spin-bowling all-rounder from Baroda, stepped into the limelight as she gears up for her first season in the Women’s Premier League (WPL), representing Adani Sportsline Gujarat Giants. Born into a cricketing family with the renowned surname Pathan, she often finds herself linked to her famous siblings, Irfan and Yusuf Pathan, who have left an indelible mark on Indian cricket.

Tarannum Pathan. PC: GG
Tarannum Pathan. PC: GG

Tarannum reflected on the profound influence of the Pathan brothers on her cricketing journey. Despite the assumptions that she is their younger sister, Tarannum acknowledges the inspiration she draws from Irfan, particularly his discipline and dedication to the game. She cherishes the lessons learned from her visits to their residence and their occasional conversations, which have enriched her understanding of cricket.

“Cricket khelne ka keeda bachpan se tha” (Had a passion for cricket since childhood). My mother would tell me that I would be kicking while still in her womb, so I probably had that from a very early age.

Tarannum’s passion for cricket dates back to her childhood days, nurtured by her family’s unwavering support, especially from her late father, Nasir. His sacrifices and guidance have been instrumental in shaping her career, instilling in her the resilience needed to navigate setbacks, including being overlooked in the WPL auction.

Despite the initial disappointment, Tarannum’s father’s teachings resonate with her, urging her to stay composed and resilient in the face of adversity. Her selection by the Gujarat Giants marks a significant milestone in her career, a testament to her perseverance and determination.

“Whatever I am today, it is because of my parents. Massive support from them, and it’s because of their blessings that I am here today. Mainly my father because he didn’t give as much time to himself as he did to me. So it’s mainly because of him that I’m here,” Tarannum added.”

Also Read:  India A squad announced to play practice matches against England Women

As she embarks on her WPL journey, Tarannum remains grounded, focusing on continuous improvement and taking each day as it comes. With a positive atmosphere in the dressing room and a supportive team environment, she is optimistic about making a strong impact in this season.

For Tarannum Pathan, the WPL is not just a platform to showcase her cricketing prowess, but a testament to her resilience and unwavering determination to realize her dreams on the cricket field.

On being asked about the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2024, Tarannum replied, “I haven’t thought that far ahead to be honest. As they say, such expectations end up hurting you more often than not. So I’m focusing on my day-by-day improvement, and it will be easier if I take things one day at a time. If I start thinking about playing in the World Cup which is still some time away, I might not be able to perform in the tournament that I’m currently participating in.”

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here