Charlotte Edwards – “We call it Gozi vibes at the Mumbai Indians”

The Women’s Premier League (WPL) has been a transformative and driving force for women’s cricket, not just in India but across the globe, according to Charlotte Edwards, former England captain and now a successful coach in franchise cricket. Reflecting on the inaugural edition, Charlotte Edwards emphasized the global impact of the tournament, highlighting its significance in propelling women’s cricket into the much-deserved spotlight.

Charlotte Edwards - "We call it Gozi vibes at the Mumbai Indians". PC: Mumbai Indians
Charlotte Edwards – “We call it Gozi vibes at the Mumbai Indians”. PC: Mumbai Indians

“The WPL was massive for women’s cricket. Every eyeball in the world was on India during that time. When you’re in it, you don’t probably quite see that as much. When I got home and spoke to people in other countries, I realized how big a reach the tournament has had. It has been a real game changer for women’s cricket.”

Managing a diverse dressing room filled with international stars and emerging talents posed a unique challenge for Edwards, yet it was a challenge she embraced with open arms, fostering a culture and sense of inclusivity and teamwork within the Mumbai Indians set-up. Her coaching philosophy prioritizes building strong relationships and creating a positive team environment where every player feels valued, supported, and more importantly an equally integral part of the team.

With a remarkable coaching track record across various T20 leagues around the globe, including the Sydney Sixers and Southern Vipers, Charlotte attributed her success to her ability to continuously learn and adapt. She emphasizes the importance of enjoying the journey and maintaining perspective amidst the highs and lows that are a part of the game.

“When I first started coaching, I found it incredibly frustrating because I had no control whatsoever on what was going on. And now, as a coach, you’ve just got to sit back and hopefully you’ve prepared the team well enough”.

Also Read:  Women's Sport: Top 10 Women's Cricketers of all time

Drawing from her illustrious playing career, which spanned two decades, Edwards traced her cricketing roots back to her upbringing on a potato farm back home in England. From playing boy’s cricket to captaining the England international side, she has witnessed the evolution of women’s cricket from its amateur days to the right where it is today, culminating in the groundbreaking WPL auction where she witnessed the sport’s tremendous growth firsthand.

“I’ve watched the game evolve and grow in that time and, hence what I said to you about the WPL, that when I sat in that auction room and the first player went for Rs 3.4 crore, it was a pretty special moment just to see where I’ve come from and where we’ve gone.”

As a leader, Edwards values authenticity and encourages her players to embrace their individuality, believing that genuine leadership stems from staying true to one’s own self. She makes it a point to instill a culture of positivity and resilience within the group, focusing on what can go right rather than dwelling on potential failures.

In the constantly evolving world of T20 cricket, where fortunes can change in an instant, Edwards advocates for maintaining a forward-thinking mindset and not being too consumed by the outcome of the game. Instead, she emphasizes the importance of objective review and continuous improvement, guided by the mantra of “Gozi vibes” (after Jhulan Goswami) – a reminder to stay positive and resilient in the face of adversity.

“If you’re thinking about that, it’s likely it’s going to happen. Something we’ve got here is positive vibes… we call it Gozi vibes at the Mumbai Indians. In your planning for things, it can’t be about what can go wrong, it’s about what can go right.”

Also Read:  Ellyse Perry continues to shine in RCB’s Road to ‘Ea Sala Cup Namde’ Dream

Charlotte Edwards’ journey, both as a player and a coach, epitomizes the spirit of perseverance and leadership, inspiring the next generation of cricketers to embrace the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead.

(Quotes sourced from Forbes India)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here