“I think we want to capture people’s imaginations and make it really entertaining,” says Ellyse Perry

Its been 12 years since Aussie superstar Ellyse Perry made her debut for Australia, she has been part of nine World Cups till now but the excitement to play cricket never fades, she is much excited to make her debut for Victoria that will double as her first competitive match since a shoulder injury which eventually reduced her 2019 season.

Ellyse Perry will play her first game for Victoria on Tuesday after seven weeks out game. Picture: AAP
Ellyse Perry will play her first game for Victoria on Tuesday after seven weeks out game. Picture: AAP

“It feels like the first day of school again,” Perry said of reuniting with her new teammates ahead of Victoria’s Women’s National Cricket League clash against Western Australia in Melbourne on Tuesday.

This debut marks her busy schedule ahead of this world cup in her home ground. Australian women’s cricket team will look forward to defending their title this year and would definitely prove as tough opponents to other sides. The finale will be held on the eve of International women’s day which is the 8th of March in MCG and the huge audience is speculated.

“I can’t think of a more hyped-up event in terms of women’s cricket that I’ve seen in the last decade or so,” Perry said.

Commonwealth Bank has recently revived the iconic C’mon Aussie, C’mon anthem to drum up support for the Australian women ahead of the ICC tournament. Pop superstar Katy Perry will also mark her presence in the opening and closing events in this match aiming to set a new world record for attendance at a women’s sporting fixture.

Perry was recently awarded the ICC’s 2019 Cricketer of the Year and is confident enough that her team is prepared for the big game and her form will only lead the team forward.

“We’ve been successful and played some really great cricket, especially in the last 24 months or so, so this is the next challenge for us,” she said. “It’s a really great opportunity to hopefully do something special.

Also Read:  Perry's 5000 Runs, Schutt's 100 ODI Wickets and Australia's World Record - 5 Records to Keep an eye on

“Given the quality of opposition, it’s going to be a great spectacle (and) it’s also going to make it really difficult for us to be successful, but I think that’s absolutely everything you want in a World Cup. “I think we want to capture people’s imaginations and make it really entertaining and make it something they want to tune in and watch.”

Australia’s T20 World Cup squad will be revealed this month, ahead of which there will be a Tri-series amongst the nations like India Australia and England which will help the sides prepare more focussing on the ICC tournament.

Source: Emily Colvin for cricket.com.au

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here