“New Zealand game and the semi-final, that’s the most nervous and sick I’ve felt playing cricket,” reveals Meg Lanning

On Sunday, Meg Lanning captained Australia to their record fifth ICC Women’s T20 World Cup title, by beating India clinically and winning the match by 85 runs. The Aussie skipper called the final match day as her perfect day on the cricket field.

Megan Schutt elated after 4 Wicket Haul against India Women
Megan Schutt elated after 4 Wicket Haul against India Women. Pic Credits: ICC

Meg Lanning captained Australia to yet another Women’s T20 World Cup title. It was the first time in seven editions that the World T20 came to Australia and the defending champions ensured that the Cup says home.

At the start of the tournament, Australia started as favorites, however as the competition progressed, the other finalists India started garnering some attention and were looked upon as another strong contender for the World Cup.

Throughout the fortnight, the hosts had to deal with pressure and expectation aplenty. It was not a cakewalk for the Aussies as they had to fight hard to reach the semi-finals. Playing New Zealand in the group stage was hailed as a virtual quarter-final. Defeating their Trans-Tasmanian rivals, Meg Lanning and co. entered the semis. Getting the better of South Africa in the semi-final in a rain-curtailed match was tough. The reigning champions showed their class and weathered the storm to set a final date with India.

“There’s a lot of pride. This tournament was always going to be massive, we had our ups and downs throughout and everything was thrown at us.”

“To be able to come through and have the complete performance on the biggest stage, it’s something that’s pretty amazing and is testament to the group for delivering on that. The New Zealand game and the semi-final, that’s the most nervous and sick I’ve felt playing cricket. To get through that, coming into the Final, everyone was a little on edge but it just happened. It was just there from the first ball, there’s ups and downs throughout but to be able to lead this group is a real privilege – they make my job really easy. It’s such a great group to be a part of. Everyone rode the bumps, the highs, and lows, to finish like this is just incredible,” averred Lanning.

Also Read:  Preview: 8th Warm-up match: England vs Sri Lanka: Dream11 Fantasy Cricket Tips – Playing XI, Pitch Report, Injury Update

The final that was hosted by the Melbourne Cricket Ground was nothing short of a grand finale. For the first time, a women’s game witnessed a humungous crowd of 86,174. Despite the final exuding such tremendous grandeur, Lanning was as cool as a cucumber. The 27-year old was calm when it mattered most, courtesy her Australia teammates holding back their own nerves on the big day.

“This day is incredible, we couldn’t have dreamed of this,” she added. “When the organizers said they wanted to get that many people for the Final, I must admit I was a bit skeptical.”

“But you wanted to be there and be involved. There was such a big build-up, all the outside pressure and expectation – we wanted to come and win this tournament but it was something else.

“The way we were able to react and deal with that was a testament to the group – this day is certainly the best of my career so far. With this group of people, the support staff as well, Tayla [Vlaeminck] and Pez [Ellyse Perry] who weren’t out there on the field but were as much a part of it, it’s such a special group and we really just good mates and love going out there and playing together,” she elucidated.

Also Read:  One final leap to glory for Indian Women's Cricket Team

Meg Lanning jumps with joy after winning Final vs India
Meg Lanning jumps with joy after winning Final vs India. Pic Credits: ICC

News Source: ICC Media Zone

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here