Natalie Sciver helps England beat West Indies by 46 runs to qualify for the semi-finals

With England thrashing West Indies by 46 runs at Sydney on Sunday, Heather Knight and co. have qualified for the semi-finals alongside South Arica from Group B.

Natalie Sciver. Women's T20 World Cup 2020
Natalie Sciver. Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, England posted a respectable total of 143-5 in 20 overs. Losing their opener Tammy Beaumont for a second-ball duck, England did not get off to the best of starts. Her partner Danielle Wyatt (29) then joined hands with Natalie Sciver (57), who has been in form of her life to stitch a solid 50-run partnership. Sciver scored her third half-century in the four games played so far in this World T20 to give the English side a strong foundation.

Skipper Heather Knight (17), who was looking good in her short stay at the crease was unfortunately run out. Sent down the order in this match, wicket-keeper Amy Ellen Jones played a 13-ball cameo to score 23 to take her team past the 140-run mark. West Indies put up a disciplined bowling effort but the English players were too good to be kept quiet. Shakera Selman, Afy Fletcher, Anisa Mohammed, and Stafanie Taylor picked up one wicket each.

In reply, the Caribbeans were done and dusted for a paltry 97 in 17.1 overs, falling short of 46 runs. There were many jitters during the chase as none of the West Indian batters looked to capitalize on the starts they got. Lee-Ann Kirby top scored with 20, with skipper Stafanie Taylor (15), who was retired hurt and Britney Cooper (15) making some contributions with the bat. However, the English bowling was right on the money, with slow left-arm bowler Sophie Ecclestone being the pick of the bowlers with 3-7 in her 3.1 overs. Leggie Sarah Glenn too joined the Ecclestone party as she struck with 2-16 in her four overs.

Natalie Sciver bagged the Player of the Match for her match-winning knock of 57 in 56 balls, which included six fluent boundaries.

Also Read:  86,174 fans turn up at MCG to witness final - biggest crowd ever to witness a women's cricket match

With this win, England has qualified for the semi-finals alongside the Proteas, however, who is the number one team in the Group is not yet determined. On Tuesday when West Indies takes on South Africa in Sydney, it will be clear. If the South Africans outdo the Caribbeans they will end up at the top of the table, but if West Indies beat South Africa, then England will top the table and South Africa will have to contend with the second position.

England celebrate Pakistan's early wickets. Pic Credits: ICC
England celebrates Pakistan’s early wickets. Pic Credits: ICC

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here