England post 293 Runs against South Africa riding on Danielle Wyatt’s Century

On Thursday, England and South Africa locked horns against each other in the second semi-final of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch. South Africa won the toss and elected to bowl.

England post 293 Runs against South Africa riding on Danielle Wyatt's Century. PC: ICC/Getty Images
England post 293 Runs against South Africa riding on Danielle Wyatt’s Century. PC: ICC/Getty Images

England did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their opening batter Tammy Beaumont (7 runs off 14 balls) in the fourth over. After Beaumont’s departure, captain Heather Knight joined hands with the other opening batter Danielle Wyatt to put together 41 runs for the second wicket. Knight (1 run off 19 balls) after a torrid stint at the crease was sent packing by Ayabonga Khaka in the 13th over. South Africa also saw the back of in-form Natalie Sciver (15 runs off 18 balls) in quick succession.

Wicket-keeper Amy Jones (28 runs off 32 balls) got off to a good start but perished against the run of play. Later, Wyatt and Sophia Dunkley came together to stitch a 116-run partnership for the fifth wicket to take England to a commanding position. Wyatt top-scored with a blistering 129 off 125 balls, while Dunkley mustered 60 runs off 72 balls. Towards the end, Sophie Ecclestone played a blinder of a cameo as she smashed 24 runs off 11 balls to give the impetus to the England innings. At the end of 50 overs, England posted 8-293.

For South Africa, Shabnim Ismail was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-46 in 10 overs. Ismail picked up two of her three wickets in the last over of the innings to restrict England to under 300.

She was well supported by the pace twins in Marizanne Kapp and Masabata Klass, who struck with 2-52 and 2-55 respectively. Ayabonga Khaka was the most expensive among the seamers as he conceded 66 runs in 10 overs, picking up one wicket. Chloe Tryon was the lone bowler who went wicket-less for South Africa. On the field, the South Africans did not have a great day as they dropped Wyatt four times. However, there was one screamer of a catch by Tryon to get rid of Jones.

England have set a target of 294 for South Africa. Can South Africa chase down the target to enter their first-ever final of the World Cup? Or will the defending champions make their way to the finals again? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana posts an Emotional Message for fans after India's exit for World Cup

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here