Katherine Brunt and Sophie Ecclestone demolish Pakistan’s Feeble Batting Line-Up

On Thursday, England and Pakistan locked horns against each other in the 24th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch. England won the toss and elected to bowl.

Katherine Brunt and Sophie Ecclestone demolish Pakistan's Feeble Batting Line-Up picking 3 Wickets Each . PC: iCC/Getty Images
Katherine Brunt and Sophie Ecclestone demolish Pakistan’s Feeble Batting Line-Up picking 3 Wickets Each. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Batting first, Pakistan did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their opening batter, Nahida Khan, cheaply for a golden duck on the very first ball of the innings. That was an ominous beginning for Pakistan and the team kept losing wickets at regular intervals. There were no big partnerships as the England bowlers kept coming at them. Opening batter Sidra Ameen top scored with 32 runs off 77 balls and was well supported by wicket-keeper Sidra Nawaz who mustered 23 runs off 44 balls. However, apart from Ameen and Nawaz, no other batters could contribute.

Captain Bismah Maroof failed to deliver as she was sent packing after scoring nine off 14 balls. Pakistan had lost half their side for 58 in 24.3 overs and lost the remaining half in the next 17 overs putting on another 47 runs. After a stellar win over West Indies in their previous match, there were expectations from Pakistan to put up a strong fight against the defending champions England, however, they miserably failed. Pakistan were bowled out for 105 in 41.3 overs.

For England, their veteran pace sensation Katherine Brunt, who had been quiet in this World Cup so far, was the pick of the bowlers as she struck with 2-17 in her eight overs, along with the left-arm spinner Sophie Ecclestone, who also bagged 3-18 in her 8.3 overs. Kate Cross and Heather Knight were the other wicket-takers who chipped in one scalp each. England bowled seven maiden overs in the innings, including two each by Brunt, Ecclestone, and Natalie Sciver and one by Ecclestone. Apart from the one-dropped catch, England’s fielding looked good.

Pakistan have set a target of 106 for England. Can England chase down the target to register their third straight win of their World Cup campaign? Or will Pakistan play the spoil sport? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Ayabonga Khaka completes 100 One Day International Wickets

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here