Danielle Wyatt’s unbeaten 78 help England beat Pakistan by 9 Wickets

On Thursday, in the 23rd match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, England were chasing 106 in 50 overs against Pakistan at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch.

Danielle Wyatt's unbeaten 78 help England beat Pakistan by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Danielle Wyatt’s unbeaten 78 helped England beat Pakistan by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Chasing a modest score of 106, England did not get off to the best of starts as the defending champions lost their in-form opening batter Tammy Beaumont (2 runs off 12 balls) cheaply in the fifth over of the innings. After the departure of Beaumont, captain Heather Knight joined hands with Danielle Wyatt to stitch a match-winning partnership of 87 runs for the second wicket to seal the deal for England. Wyatt, who had a rough start to her World Cup campaign finally found form as she top-scored with an undefeated 76 off 68 balls. Her innings was embellished with 11 boundaries. Knight, who also did not have the best of times with the bat in this World Cup, regained her lost touch as she crafted her way to a delightful 24 off 36 balls. Wyatt and Knight completed the formalities in just 19.2 overs, to win the match comprehensively by nine wickets.

For Pakistan, the right arm speedster, Diana Baig was the lone wicket-taker as she struck with 1-14 in her six overs. Baig opened the bowling for Pakistan and in her third over got the better of Beaumont as she had the English batter out LBW. However, after giving Pakistan a good start, she did not find able allies who could trouble the opposition batters. Pakistan used six bowlers in total, but none apart from Baig, managed to pick up a wicket. The fielding also did not look that good as they dropped Wyatt in the fourth over when she was just on four.

Also Read:  England's Charlie Dean breaks a 37-year-old record, becomes fastest bowler to pick 50 ODI Wickets

England’s Danielle Wyatt won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right-handed opening batter muscled 76 not out runs off 68 balls, registering her first half-century in this World Cup.

With this win, England have registered their third straight win in this World Cup out of the six matches that they have played. On the other hand, Pakistan have just one win in six games in the tournament so far.

England and Pakistan will play their next fixtures on March 27 against Bangladesh and on March 26 against New Zealand respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here