England hold nerves to beat New Zealand by 1 Wicket in Low-Scoring Thriller

On Sunday, in the 19th match of the ICC Womenโ€™s Cricket World Cup, England were chasing 204 in 50 overs against New Zealand.

Charlie Dean and Anya Shrubsole star as England hold nerves to beat New Zealand by 1 Wicket in Low-Scoring Thriller. PC: Getty Images
Charlie Dean and Anya Shrubsole star as England hold nerves to beat New Zealand by 1 Wicket in Low-Scoring Thriller. PC: Getty Images

Chasing 204, England did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their opening pair of Danielle Wyatt and Tammy Beaumont inside the first 10 overs. At the end of 10 overs, England were 2-53 with both Wyatt (12 runs off 7 balls) and Beaumont (25 runs off 36 balls) back in the pavilion. Later captain Heather Knight and all-rounder Natalie Sciver steadied the English ship as they stitched a 45-run partnership for the third wicket, before Knight (42 runs off 53 balls) was sent packing by Frances Mackay. Sciver continued to fight and piled up 61 runs from 108 balls to lead Englandโ€™s run chase.

Sophia Dunkley joined hands with Sciver to put together 70 runs to take England to a commanding position. However, Dunkley (33 runs off 43 balls) and Sciver in quick succession as the former was out in the 41st over and the latter in the 44th over. From 5-176 to 9-196, England lost four wickets for just 20 runs. With eight runs to get and one wicket in hand, the match was evenly poised.

In the end, England held on to their nerves and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, winning the match by just one wicket as they chased the target in 47.2 overs. Anya Shrubsole (7 not out off 10 balls) hit the winning runs for England.

Also Read:  Tammy Beaumont completes 100 ODI Matches for England

For New Zealand, the right arm off-spinner Frances Mackay was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 4-34 in her nine overs. Jess Kerr, who opened the bowling, struck with 2-36 in her 10 overs, including one maiden. Apart from Mackay and Kerr, Lea Tahuhu and Brooke Halliday were the other wicket-takers as they accounted for one wicket each. Tahuhu could only bowl 4.4 overs as she walked off the field limping. Amelia Kerr and Hannah Rowe were the two bowlers who went wicket-less.

Englandโ€™s Natalie Sciver won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right handed middle order batter mustered 61 runs off 108 balls to lead the run chase from the front.

With this win, England have won two out of their five matches, while New Zealand have won two out of their six matches in this World Cup.

England and New Zealand will play their next fixtures against Pakistan on March 24 and March 26 respectively.

Follow Female Cricket onย Instagramย andย Twitterย for all the latest news and updates around Womenโ€™s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana retired hurt in Warm-Up Against South Africa with a Bouncer
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here