Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone help England restrict New Zealand to just 203 Runs

On Sunday, England and New Zealand locked horns against each other in the 19th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. England won the toss and elected to bowl.

Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone help England restrict New Zealand to just 203 Runs. PC: Getty Images
Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone help England restrict New Zealand to just 203 Runs. PC: Getty Images

Batting first, New Zealand got off to a strong start, thanks to their opening pair of Suzie Bates and Sophie Devine who put together 52 runs in the first 10 overs. They stitched a 61-run partnership in 11.4 overs before Bates (22 runs off 36 balls) was sent packing by Kate Cross. New Zealand’s star all-rounder Amelia Kerr joined captain Devine and when things were looking good, Devine (37 runs off 42 balls) was forced to retire hurt at the start of the 15th over due to some back issues.

Kerr (24 runs off 38 balls) and Amy Satterthwaite (24 runs off 42 balls) started on a positive note however failed to capitalize on their starts. After a healthy opening stand, New Zealand kept losing wickets at regular intervals. The hosts lost five wickets between over number 31 and 40 which did not help their cause. Devine (41 runs off 48 balls) was back in the 39th over but could add just another four runs to her previous tally as she was out in the 40th over. Maddy Green fought hard for her unbeaten 52 off 75 balls but could not find able allies with the bat in the end. New Zealand were bowled out for 203 in 48.4 overs.

For England, Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone wreaked havoc with the ball as they struck with 3-35 and 3-41 in their 10 overs respectively. The right arm off spinner Charlotte Dean, who was the player of the match in her last outing against India, picked up 2-36 in 10 overs against New Zealand. The pace trio of Katherine Brunt, Anya Shrubsole and Natalie Sciver went wicket-less. Apart from a disciplined bowling effort by England, they were top-notch on the field, as they held onto some good catches.

New Zealand have set a target of 204 for England. Can England chase down the target and register the second consecutive win of their World Cup campaign? Or will New Zealand have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Head to Head between India and South Africa Women in ODI World Cup

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here