First-ever 300+ total for India in a Women’s World Cup Match

On Saturday, India posted their highest score in a Women’s Cricket World Cup match when the Women in Blue hammered 317-8 in 50 overs against West Indies during the 10th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022 at Seddon Park in Hamilton.

India Scores 300+ Runs in a World Cup Match for the first time. PC: Getty Images
India Scores 300+ Runs in a World Cup Match for the first time. PC: Getty Images

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, India got off to a flying start, courtesy of the opening pair of Smriti Mandhana and Yastika Bhatia who plundered a blistering 49 in just 6.3 overs to set the momentum for the team. Though India got off to a brisk start, they lost three wickets inside 15 overs and at one stage were somewhat struggling at 78-3 in 13.5 overs. However, after that India’s vice-captain, Harmanpreet Kaur joined hands with Mandhana and carried on from where she had left a couple of days back against New Zealand when she scored a delectable 71 off 63 balls. Kaur and Mandhana stitched a 184-run partnership for the fourth wicket and powered India to a formidable total. This was the highest fourth wicket partnership for India in women’s ODIs, highest partnership for any wicket for India against West Indies in women’s ODIs and highest partnership for any wicket and any team in Women’s Cricket World Cup. While Mandhana crafted her way to 123 runs off 119 balls, Kaur muscled 109 runs off 107 balls.

Riding on twin centuries from their star batters, India piled up a humongous 317-8 in 50 overs, which is their highest ever total in Women’s Cricket World Cup, surpassing their previous best of 284-6 also against West Indies during the 2013 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. This is for the first time that India have gone past 300 in a World Cup match. The total of 317 is so far the highest total posted by any team in this edition of Women’s Cricket World Cup with the previous best being 310-3 by Australia against England on March 5 at the same venue which is the Seddon Park in Hamilton. The venue has so far seen two scores of 300+ achieved by the teams batting first in three matches that have been played here.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  18-year-old Richa Ghosh eyeing her maiden Women's World Cup tournament
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here