India beat West Indies by a Massive 155 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table

On Saturday, in the 10th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, West Indies were chasing 318 in 50 overs against India.

India beat West Indies by a Massive 155 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images
India beat West Indies by a Massive 155 Runs to Regain Top Spot in Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images

West Indies started the run chase on a positive note as the opening pair of Deandra Dottin (62 runs off 46 balls) and Hayley Matthews plundered 100 runs in just 12.2 overs. Dottin and Matthews started attacking the Indian bowlers right from the word go. They smashed the Indians all around the park making the Indian bowling attack look listless. However in the 13th over, India got the breakthrough as Sneh Rana sent Dottin packing to put the brakes on West Indian scoring. From 100-1 to 134-6, West Indies lost five wickets in just 34 runs, with Matthews (43 runs off 36 balls), captain Stafanie Taylor (1 run off 10 balls), Kycia Knight (5 runs off 15 balls), Shemaine Campbell (11 runs off 17 balls) and Chinelle Henry (7 runs off 6 balls) all back in the hut. After the solid 100-run opening stand, West Indies kept losing wickets at regular intervals and at the end they were bundled out for 162 in 40.3 overs, losing the match by 155 runs. West Indies lost their last four wickets for just 28 runs.

For India, right arm off spinner Sneh Rana was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-22 in her 9.3 overs, including one maiden. She received good support from Meghna Singh who struck with 2-27. Jhulan Goswami, Rajeshwari Gayakwad and Pooja Vastrakar were the other wicket-takers, who chipped in one wicket apiece. Deepti Sharma was the only bowler who went wicket-less. There were seven maiden overs bowled by the Indians which indicate that they were disciplined with their lines and lengths. The Indian fielding looked good apart from that one dropped catch by substitute fielder Taniya Bhatia to give respite to Matthews.

India’s Smriti Mandhana won the player of the match for her match winning batting performance of 123 runs off 119 balls. Her partnership of 184 runs with Harmanpreet Kaur was the turning point of the game. During the presentation ceremony, she shared her award with Kaur, which was an incredible gesture.

Also Read:  Match 10: Barbados v India Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

After this match, both the teams, India and West Indies have won two out of their three matches in their respective World Cup campaigns so far.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here