Smriti Mandhana and Harmanpreet Kaur Broke Several Records in World Cup 2022

On Saturday, India and West Indies locked horns against each other in the 10th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. India won the toss and elected to bat.

Smriti Mandhana and Harmanpreet Kaur Broke Several Records in World Cup 2022. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana and Harmanpreet Kaur Broke Several Records in World Cup 2022. PC: ICC / Getty Images

India got off to a flying start, thanks to Yastika Bhatia, who plundered 31 runs off 21 balls, including six boundaries, to stitch a 49-run partnership with Smriti Mandhana in just 6.3 overs. After a brisk start, the batters to follow could not keep up with the momentum. Mithali Raj (5 runs off 11 balls) and Deepti Sharma (15 runs off 21 balls) fell in quick succession and India were somewhat struggling at 3-78 in 13.5 overs. Later Harmanpreet Kaur joined hands with Mandhana to carry on with the innings and the duo put together 184 runs for the fourth wicket, which is the highest partnership for India against West Indies, highest partnership for the fourth wicket for India as well as the highest partnership for any team for any wicket in Women’s Cricket World Cups. Mandhana crafted a delectable 123 runs off 119 balls, including 13 boundaries and two sixes, while Kaur muscled a power-packed 109 runs off 107 balls, including 10 boundaries and two sixes. At the end of 50 overs, India posted a formidable score of 317-8, which is so far the highest total posted by any team in this edition of the Women’s Cricket World Cup.

For West Indies, the right arm off-spinner Anisa Mohammed was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-59 in her nine overs. West Indies used as many as eight bowlers in their innings. Apart from Mohammed, Shamilia Connell, Hayley Matthews, Shakera Selman, Deandra Dottin and Aaliyah Alleyne were the other wicket-takers, who struck with one wicket each. It was quite evident that West Indies did not have a great day with the ball as none of the eight bowlers used could have a major impact. Apart from the ordinary bowling, the fielding was not up to the mark as there were a couple of dropped catches and some misfields.

Also Read:  World Cup 2022: SWOT Analysis of India Women's Team

India have set a target of 318 for West Indies. Can West Indies chase down the target and register their third win on the trot in this World Cup? Or will India break West Indies’ two-match winning streak? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here