Bismah Maroof and Aliya Riaz’s 99 Run Partnership help Pakistan reach 190 vs Australia

On Tuesday, Australia and Pakistan locked horns against each other in the sixth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Australia won the toss and elected to bowl first.

Bismah Maroof and Aliya Riaz's 99 Run Partnership help Pakistan reach 190 vs Australia. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Bismah Maroof and Aliya Riaz’s 99 Run Partnership help Pakistan reach 190 vs Australia. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Pakistan did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their first four wickets inside 13 overs. Going into this match, Pakistan opened their batting with a new pair in Sidra Ameen (2 runs off 9 balls) and Nahida Khan (9 runs off 10 balls). In their last match against India, Javeria Khan had opened the batting with Ameen. Nahida and Sidra were sent back to the pavilion of two consecutive balls by Megan Schutt and Ellyse Perry respectively. Omaima Sohail (12 runs off 25 balls) and Nida Dar (5 runs off 8 balls) too failed to contribute big as they were sent packing by the twin leg spinners in Alana King and Amanda Jade Wellington respectively.

Later, captain Bismah Maroof and Aliya Riaz (53 runs off 109 balls) joined hands to stitch a 99-run partnership for the fifth wicket, which was also Pakistan’s highest in the Women’s World Cup. The duo steadied the otherwise sinking ship of Pakistan with their street smart batting. After the departure of Riaz, young Fatima Sana played a useful knock of 14 runs off 15 balls lower down the order. Maroof top-scored with an unbeaten 78 off 122 balls to steer her side to 190-6 in 50 overs. She also recorded the second-highest score by a Pakistani cricketer in the Women’s World Cup.

For Australia, leg spinner Alana King was the pick of the bowlers as she picked up 2-24 in her nine overs. Apart from Jess Jonassen, who went wicket-less, the other Australian bowlers, including Schutt, Perry, Wellington and Nicola Carey struck with one wicket each. The Australian bowling looked good as they restricted Pakistan to under 200. The fielders did a great job as they were on their toes right through the 50 overs.

Pakistan have set a target of 191 for Australia. Can the Aussies chase down the target and register their second win in their World Cup campaign? Or will Pakistan create an upset? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Ellyse Perry's all-round show seals a victory for Sixers against Brisbane Heat

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here