England beat South Africa Women in Warm-Up Match by 6 Wickets

The final two warm-up matches ahead of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup were played on March 2. England took on South Africa at Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln, while Pakistan and Bangladesh locked horns against each other at Lincoln Green, Lincoln.

England beat South Africa Women in Warm-Up Match by 6 Wickets. PC: EnglandCricket/Twitter
England beat South Africa Women in Warm-Up Match by 6 Wickets. PC: EnglandCricket/Twitter

England beat South Africa by 6 Wickets

It was a low-scoring encounter between England and South Africa as the Proteas managed to score 138-9 in 35 overs. The match was reduced to 35 overs a side due to rain. South African all-rounder Marizanne Kapp top-scored with a delectable half-century. Kapp (52 runs off 60 balls) and Chloe Tryon (27 runs off 39 balls) stitched a 65-run partnership for the sixth wicket, however with wickets falling at regular intervals, South Africa were not able to post a respectable score on board.

For England, left-arm spinner Sophie Ecclestone was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-23 in her seven overs, including one maiden. Katherine Brunt and Anya Shrubsole opened the bowling, with Brunt striking with 1-30 (7 overs) and Shrbsole accounting for 2-18 (7 overs). Chasing a modest score of 139, England completed the formalities in 26.2 overs, winning the match by six wickets. Opening batter Tammy Beaumont led the run chase with a 45-ball 35 and was ably supported by Natalie Sciver, who muscled 33 runs off 36 balls. For South Africa, right arm speedster Ayabonga Khaka was the most successful bowler as she picked up 2-8 in her four overs.

After the match, the two teams played a mock super over. England won the super over as they successfully defended 10, thanks to Ecclestone who restricted South Africa to 1-6.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Why will Marizaane Kapp and Tumi Sekhukhune miss T20I series against England?
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here