World Cup Debutants Bangladesh restricts South Africa to 207 Runs

On Saturday, Bangladesh played their first-ever ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup match as they took on South Africa at the University Oval in Dunedin. Bangladesh’s captain Nigar Sultana won the toss and was elected to field first.

World Cup Debutants Bangladesh restricts South Africa to 207 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images
World Cup Debutants Bangladesh restricts South Africa to 207 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images

Jahanara Alam started the proceedings for Bangladesh and had Fariha Trisna, a left-arm seamer, for company, sharing the new ball. While Alam delivered some good outswingers, Trisna brought the ball in to the right-handers. South Africa’s opening batter Tazmin Brits, who took 19 balls to get off the mark did not look comfortable and the right-handed batter perished scoring just eight runs off 22 balls. Her opening partner, Laura Wolvaardt, on the other hand, looked relatively at home as she crafted a 52-ball 41 before being clean bowled by Ritu Moni.

Captain Sune Luus (25 runs off 46 balls) and South Africa’s leading run-getter Mignon du Preez (18 runs off 26 balls) failed to contribute much as they were sent back by some good bowling and presence of mind from Bangladesh. Towards the end, Chloe Tryon (39 runs off 40 balls) and Marizanne Kapp (42 runs off 45 balls) plundered some big hits as they took South Africa’s total past the 200-run mark. The Proteas were bundled out for 207 runs in 49.5 overs.

Fariha Trisna took 3 Wickets in her 10 over conceding just 35 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Fariha Trisna took 3 Wickets in her 10 over conceding just 35 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images

Playing their first-ever World Cup match, Bangladesh looked good on the field for the majority parts of the play, apart from a few misfields and a dropped catch, not to forget that they took a couple of spectacular catches in the outfield.

Also Read:  Fox Sports announces a channel dedicated to 2022 Women's Cricket World Cup

With the ball, for Bangladesh, Trisna starred with the ball as she scalped 3-35 in her 10 overs. Alam bowled well in tandem with Trisna and the right arm speedster accounted for 2-28 in her nine overs, including one maiden. Right-arm medium pacer Ritu Moni also chipped in with two wickets conceding 36 runs off her 9.5 overs, including one maiden. The spin twins of Salma Khatun and Rumana Ahmed struck with one wicket apiece.

Bangladesh need 208 runs to win. Their highest successful run chase was 211-9 against Pakistan in 2019. Can the Bangla Tigresses roar and get the better of Proteas? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here