Alyssa Healy’s 170 Runs in World Cup Final broke several records

On Sunday, Australia and England locked horns against each other in the final of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch. England won the toss and elected to bowl.

Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes break 25 Year Old Record by Debbie Hockley. PC: ICC/ getty images
Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes break 25 Year Old Record by Debbie Hockley. PC: ICC/ getty images

Australia got off to a flying start thanks to their prolific opening pair in Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes, who clobbered 160 runs for the first wicket in just 29.1 overs. The right-hand – left-hand combination of Australia did not allow the England bowlers to settle as they kept coming at them. Haynes departed after scoring a 93-ball 68 and Healy was joined by another southpaw in Beth Mooney. Mooney was promoted up the order to take the attack to the opposition. She fulfilled her responsibilities as she muscled a power-packed 62 off 47 balls.

Alyssa Healy's 170 Runs in World Cup Final broke several records. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Alyssa Healy’s 170 Runs in World Cup Final broke several records. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Healy and Mooney stitched a 156-run partnership for the second wicket to take Australia to a commanding position. Towards the end, captain Meg Lanning (10 runs off five balls) and Ellyse Perry (17 not out off 10 balls) played useful cameos to steer Australia to 5-356 in 50 overs. This is the highest score in the history of the Women’s World Cup finals. Healy top-scored for Australia with a blistering 170 off 138 balls, including 26 boundaries.

For England, Anya Shrubsole was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-46 in 10 overs. Sophie Ecclestone, who is the leading wicket-taker in the tournament, with 20 wickets before this match, was the other wicket-taker for England as she picked up 1-71 in 10 overs. Apart from Shrubsole and Ecclestone, none of the other English bowlers managed to take wickets. Katherine Brunt, Kate Cross, Natalie Sciver, and Charlotte Dean went wicket-less. In addition to an ordinary bowling performance, England did not have a great day on the field as they dropped Healy and Haynes in the same over. While Danielle Wyatt dropped Haynes, Natalie Sciver dropped Alyssa Healy off Cross’ bowling.

Australia have set a target of 357 for England. Can the defending champions England chase down the target to win their fifth World Cup title? Or will Australia clinch their seventh World Cup championship? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Match 23: Brisbane Heat v Perth Scorchers | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here