Natalie Sciver’s Century help England beat Bangladesh by 109 Runs in Warm-Up

The warm-up match ahead of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup was played between England and Bangladesh on February 28 at the Lincoln Green, Lincoln. Prior to this match, these two teams have not played a single ODI against each other.

Natalie Sciver scored 108 Runs off 101 Balls against Bangladesh in the warm-up game. PC: bbctms / Twitter
Natalie Sciver scored 108 Runs off 101 Balls against Bangladesh in the warm-up game. PC: bbctms / Twitter

1st innings England 310-9 in 50 overs

Batting first, England posted a daunting total of 310-9 in 50 overs, thanks to Natalie Sciver’s delightful century. Coming in at number four, Sciver plundered 108 runs off 101 balls, including nine boundaries, after the opening pair of Lauren Winfield-Hill (55 runs off 43 balls) and Tammy Beaumont (38 runs off 49 balls) stitched an 81-run partnership for the first wicket. Captain Heather Knight (27 runs off 36 balls) got off to a solid start but failed to capitalize as she was sent packing by Lata Mondal. For Bangladesh, left-arm spinner Nahida Akter was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-49 in her 10 overs. Suraiya Azmin and Ritu Moni chipped in two wickets apiece, while Rumana Ahmed and Mondal accounted for one scalp each.

2nd innings Bangladesh 201 all out in 49.4 overs

In reply, Bangladesh did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their first wicket in the fifth over of the run chase. Later, Shamima Sultana and Sharmin Akhter looked to consolidate the innings, however Sultana perished after mustering 33 runs off 34 balls. Akhter (81 runs off 137 balls) was the lone warrior for Bangladesh as she continued to bat right through the 50 overs, with wickets falling all around her. Apart from Sultana and Akhter, there were no major contributions with the bat for Bangladesh. For England, Freya Davies, Sciver and Charlotte Dean accounted for two wickets each, while Knight, Kate Cross and Sophia Dunkley struck with one scalp apiece. Bangladesh will be playing their first ever 50-over World Cup this year and it will be important for them to make the most of these warm-up matches before the start of the actual competition.

Also Read:  Team England: Strengths and Weaknesses – ICC Women’s World T20 2020

Brief Scores: England 310-9 in 50 overs (N Sciver 108, N Akter 3-49) beat Bangladesh 201 all out in 49.4 overs (S Akhter 81, F Davies 2-40) by 109 runs

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here