Smriti Mandhana cleared to play for India after Head Injury during Warm-Up

Team India can have a huge sigh of relief as Smriti Mandhana has been cleared for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2022 starting on Friday, 4th of March.

Smriti Mandhana
Smriti Mandhana. Pic Credits: ICC

The left-handed opener in the early stages of the first warm-up match was struck on the head by South Africa’s Shabnim Ismail’s bouncer. The medical staff deemed her fit to continue after performing all the initial concussion protocols. But, an over and a half later, Smriti walked back retired hurt for another consultation, and didn’t take part in the rest of the match as team India defeated South Africa by 2 runs in the first warm-up match at Rangiora. The fans were worried about the severity of the injury and were hoping for positive news.

According to the team doctor, Mandhana didn’t experience any concussion symptoms nor had any delayed effects from the incidence. They also confirmed that Mandhana has been in good spirits post the head trauma and will be continuing her preparations for the World Cup.

Team India will play their 2nd Warm-Up match against West Indies on Tuesday, March 1st, 2022 at Rangiora. They’ll be starting their World Cup campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan on Sunday, March 6th at Mount Maunganui.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Also Read:  West Indies Women register their first ever World Cup Win against England
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here