Smriti Mandhana retired hurt in Warm-Up Against South Africa with a Bouncer

As the Warm-Up Matches for the 2022 Women’s World Cup started on Sunday, February 27th, 2022. Team India was struck with a big blow as the talented opener Smriti Mandana got hit on the head in the early goings of Team India’s first warm-up match against South Africa at Rangiora.

Smriti Mandhana retired hurt in Warm-Up Against South Africa with a Bouncer
Smriti Mandhana retired hurt in Warm-Up Against South Africa with a Bouncer. PC: ICC

The 25-year-old star batter took a big blow to the head from South African quick Shabnim Ismail’s bouncer. The team doctor performed the concussion protocols and Smriti were deemed fit to continue. Just an over and half later, Smriti walked back to the pavilion retired hurt ending her innings at 12 runs, and went in for another consultation to avoid major issues.

According to the medical team, Smriti didn’t feel initial concussion symptoms but walked off as a precautionary measure. She didn’t take the field during the start of South Africa’s batting.

The star southpaw is one of the most important players in team India’s set-up. The fans and the team will be expecting her injury scare to not be serious and will be hoping her to be in full fit for team India’s first match in the ICC Women’s World Cup against arch-rivals Pakistan on Sunday, 6th of March.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana shines again as India defeats West Indies by 7 wickets in Women’s World Cup 17
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here