Chamari Athapaththu overtakes Mithali Raj to score Highest Individual score in Asia Cup

In the 7th match of Women’s Asia Cup 2024 encounter between Sri Lanka and Malaysia, Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat first. They began steadily, reaching 41/1 by the end of the powerplay. However, the match soon became the Chamari Athapaththu show as she took center stage with a breathtaking batting and in the process registered the first-ever century in Women’s Asia Cup T20Is.

Chamari Athapaththu scores her 3rd T20I century, 1st in Asia Cup
Chamari Athapaththu overtakes Mithali Raj to score Highest Individual score in Asia Cup. PC: ACC

Athapaththu, known for her aggressive stroke play, played an innings of brilliance, scoring an unbeaten 119 runs off just 69 deliveries, which is now her best score in T20Is. Her innings was characterized by powerful hitting and impeccable timing, with 21 boundaries, consisting of 14 fours and 7 sixes. This century not only marked her third in T20 Internationals but also her first-ever century in the Asia Cup T20I tournament.

Highest score in Women’s T20 Asia Cup:

Chamari Athapaththu 119*(69) vs Malaysia, Dambulla, 2024
Mithali Raj 97*(69) vs Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 2018
Harshitha Madavi 81(69) vs Thailand, Sylhet, 2022
Jemimah Rodrigues 76(53) vs Sri Lanka, Sylhet, 2022
Jemimah Rodrigues 75*(45) vs the United Arab Emirates, Sylhet, 2022

Chamari Athapaththu made her T20I debut back in 2009 against India. With an impressive career spanning 135 matches, Athapaththu has accumulated a total of 3034 runs in T20Is. Her innings was particularly significant as it surpassed her previous best score of 113 runs in T20Is, achieved against Australia. Her unbeaten 119 runs played a key role in Sri Lanka’s total of 184 runs.

Also Read:  Chamari Athapaththu's Fifty chased down Barmy Army's 158, K-Man Falcons book their Final Seat

To place your bets and earn real money, click on the image below and sign up now:

With this most recent century, Chamari Athapaththu now has the joint-most centuries (3) in WT20Is.

Most T20I centuries (innings):

Fatuma Kibasu – 3 (44)
Esha Oza – 3 (79)
Chamari Athapaththu – 3 (134)
Rebecca Blake – 2 (13)
Maria Castineiras – 2 (27)
Prosscovia Alako – 2 (51)
Hayley Matthews – 2 (96)
Beth Mooney – 2 (92)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Join Now