Megan Schutt will join Australia Squad for 3 ODIs in Ashes, confirms Coach Mott

After a test cricket thriller, the Women’s Ashes now move on to the 3 ODIs that have crucial 6 points (2 for each ODI) on offer as Australia leads the point-based competition by 6-4.

With the 1st ODI starting Thursday, cricket.com.au today confirmed the return of one of their key bowlers, Megan Schutt who was surprisingly left out of the test squad. The world’s third best ODI bowler will join the World number one Jess Jonassen and the star all-rounder Ellyse Perry in what can be called the strongest bowling line-up.

Megan Schutt back in ODI Squad for Ashes. PC: ICC
Megan Schutt back in ODI Squad for Ashes. PC: ICC

A report shared by them on their website consists of a statement by the team’s coach Matthew Mott regarding the same. With a smile he said,

“She’d kill me if she didn’t come back in for these three ODIs,” 

“She’s been fantastic around this decision (to miss the Test). We communicated pretty early that it wasn’t going to be in her best interests.

“I think the medical team have worked on her really well.

“She’ll definitely come back in for the first couple of ODIs and hopefully all three and hopefully lead that World Cup really well.”

Though Schutt’s inclusion to the playing XI is a major boost to the Australian line-up considering her experience with the ball, leaving out a player from the current XI would definitely be a tough job for the team selectors. With a well-set batting unit consisting of Beth Mooney, Alyssa Healy, Skipper Meg Lanning, and Rachael Haynes along with the exceptional performances by the all-rounders including experienced Ellyse Perry, young talents – Tahlia McGrath and Ashleigh Gardner, both of whom have proved their presence to the selectors, it is all but a difficult decision to fill the remaining two spots with 3 young and 1 experienced bowler on the race to grab it namely Alana King, Darcie Brown, Annabel Sutherland, and Nicola Carey.

Also Read:  Preview: 3rd ODI Ashes – Australia vs England Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

Admitting it to be a tough job, Mott further commented on how it shows a positive sign about the depth of the team.

We’ve been leaving good players out throughout the whole series.

“Even just seeing a couple of youngsters on the bench today who missed out on the Aussie team (who played England A on Sunday), Phoebe Litchfield and Tess Flintoff … I’m just really excited about the depth that we’ve got.

“So, it means for some unpopular decisions at times, but I’d rather be in that spot (than the alternative).” He added

Talking about the competition, Australia needs to win just 1 ODI to retain the Ashes while England needs to win at least 2 for a draw. After a remarkable test match, the oldest cricket rivals would now try their best at the Manuka Oval (1st ODI) and Junction Oval (2nd & 3rd ODIs) to get the Ashes trophy. In fact, with the ICC Women’s World Cup around the corner, both the teams would also be taking these ODIs as an opportunity to get themselves ready for the big tournament in New Zealand.

Remaining Fixtures (ODIs) of 2021-22 Women’s Ashes-:

Match Date Venue
1st ODI Thursday, February 3 Manuka Oval, Canberra
2nd ODI Sunday, February 6 Junction Oval, Melbourne
3rd ODI Tuesday, February 8 Junction Oval, Melbourne

Source: cricket.com.au

Author of the poetry book ‘The Scent of Rhythm’, I am a passionate writer and a Sports enthusiast who writes on Cricket and plays Badminton.

Also Read:  Cricket Australia is ready for a female to run the game : Ellyse Perry
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here