Preview: Women’s Ashes Test – Australia vs England Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

After a disappointing three-match T20I series of the Women’s Ashes, which saw only one completed match, the two teams, Australia and England will be looking to get some cricketing action in the upcoming Test that will be played between January 27 and January 30 at Manuka Oval in Canberra. At the end of the T20I series, Australia lead the points table with four points to England’s two.

Preview: Women's Ashes Test – Australia vs England Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming
Preview: Women’s Ashes Test – Australia vs England Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

Match Preview

Head to Head

Australia and England have played 50 Tests against each other since 1934. While Australia has won 12, England has won nine. The remaining 29 matches have ended in a draw.

Squads

Australia: Darcie Brown, Nicola Carey, Hannah Darlington, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes (VC), Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Meg Lanning (C), Tahlia McGrath, Grace Harris, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Stella Campbell

England: Heather Knight (c), Tammy Beaumont, Maia Bouchier, Katherine Brunt, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Natasha Farrant, Sarah Glenn, Amy Ellen Jones, Natalie Sciver, Anya Shrubsole, Mady Villiers, Lauren Winfield Hill, Danielle Wyatt, Charlotte Dean, Lauren Bell

Players to watch out for

Ellyse Perry:

Ellyse Perry
Ellyse Perry

Having missed out featuring in the playing XI, this star Australian all-rounder will be raring to have a go in the Test. She is the leading run getter and highest wicket-taker in the Women’s Ashes. She has the ability to play long innings, which is evident from the fact that she has a Test double century. With the ball, she is a good new ball bowler. It will be interesting to see how Australia uses her in the Test.

Also Read:  Preview: Australia Women tour of New Zealand 2021 | Complete Schedule

Tahlia McGrath:

Tahlia McGrath scored 9 Runs, Took 3 Wickets to help Australia record a run-chase victory. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter
Tahlia McGrath scored 9 Runs, Took 3 Wickets to help Australia record a run-chase victory. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter

She was the most impressive player in the solitary completed T20I in the recently concluded three match T20I series between Australia and England. She is a good top order bat for Australia and more than handy with the ball. Her all-round abilities will help Australia going into the Test.

Natalie Sciver:

Natalie Sciver in Women's Test. Creator: Ashley Allen  |  Credit: Getty Images Copyright: 2021 Getty Images
Natalie Sciver in Women’s Test. Creator: Ashley Allen | Credit: Getty Images Copyright: 2021 Getty Images

The English all-rounder has the experience of playing six Tests. She has 270 runs in nine innings at an average of 30, including one half century. With the ball, she has accounted for five wickets in eight innings so far. England will want its all-rounder to contribute with both bat and ball.

Heather Knight:

Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images
Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images

The captain of the England team will look to lead from the front. Her team is down two points to Australia’s four, and it will be important for Knight and co. to make the most of the upcoming Test. The right handed batter has featured in eight Tests and has one century and three half centuries. With her right arm off spin, she has seven Test wickets.

Pitch

This will be the first Women’s Test that will be played at Manuka Oval. Prior to this, the venue has seen only one match being played in the men’s Test between Australia and England in 2019. The highest total achieved was 534 and the lowest was 149. Fast bowlers have enjoyed bowling at this venue. With cloudy conditions, it is possible that the seam bowlers will get more out of the wicket.

Weather

The weather is expected to be partly cloudy on the first day of the Test. The remaining three days may see scattered thunderstorms. Apart from the first day which has a 12% chance of precipitation, day two, three and four have a 68%, 99% and 70% chance of precipitation. The average temperature for all four days will be around 27 degrees Celsius.

Also Read:  Will Ellyse Perry find her place back in Australia's Playing Squad during Ashes?

Fantasy playing XI

Alyssa Healy, Danielle Wyatt, Meg Lanning, Heather Knight, Tahlia McGrath, Ashleigh Gardner, Ellyse Perry, Natalie Sciver, Alana King, Megan Schutt, Sophie Ecclestone

Match details

Date: January 27 – January 30, 2022

Time: 4.30am IST

Venue: Manuka Oval, Canberra

Live streaming: Sony LIV

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here