Who is Lauren Bell Selected in England’s Squad for Ashes Test?

England are trailing by two points to Australia’s four in the ongoing Women’s Ashes, after the three-match T20I series ended 1-0 in Australia’s favour. The second and third T20Is were called off due to rain. With another 10 points at stake in the Women’s Ashes, England team will want to redeem themselves and fight hard in the upcoming Test that will be played between January 27 and January 30 in Canberra.

In an attempt to bring in fresh talent to the squad, England announced uncapped player Lauren Bell into the squad for the upcoming Test between Australia and England. She will join the 18-member England squad.

Lauren Bell. PC: England Cricket / Twitter
Lauren Bell. PC: England Cricket / Twitter

Bell is a 21-year old fast bowler, who has been impressive in the recent past. Prior to being selected for the Ashes Test, she was a part of England A that is playing Australia A concurrently with the Women’s Ashes. The right-arm speedster featured in all three T20s against Australia A and accounted for three wickets. Before the start of the T20 series, she played a couple of warm-up games against England. She picked up four wickets in total. In her first warm-up game, she scalped 3-35 in her six overs, including the key wickets of Tammy Beaumont, Natalie Sciver, and Amy Ellen Jones. She opened the bowling from the other end and made good use of the new ball. She is a good swing bowler and has a lethal bouncer in her armoury.

Bell plays her domestic cricket for Southern Vipers and she has been quite impressive playing for them. In 2019, she was one of the star bowlers in the semi-final against Loughborough Lightning during the Kia Super League. Later, in 2020, she spent a good amount of time training alongside England players when she was named in the enlarged group to enter the bubble. In 2021, Bell featured in the inaugural “The Hundred” playing for Southern Brave. She caught everyone’s attention when she picked up 12 wickets in the tournament.

“Lauren bowled really well throughout the English summer and she’s continued that good form over here on Australian wickets. She gives us another option to consider for selection going into the Test match,” said head coach Lisa Keightley.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Australia's Squad Predictions for Women's Ashes 2021-22
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here