With 3 Metal Plates in her chin, Wire on Bottom Teeth, Beth Mooney is back in Tests

Australia’s star opening batter Beth Mooney was ruled out of the three-match T20I series against England that was played as a part of the Women’s Ashes. The southpaw suffered from a jaw fracture and had to undergo surgery which ruled her out of the T20I series. The multi-format Women’s Ashes will now see a Test being played between the two sides from January 27 to January 30 at the Manuka Oval in Canberra.

Preview: Women's Ashes Test – Australia vs England Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming
The women’s Ashes Test will be played between 27th January to 30th January. PC: Twitter 

While the Australian team is grappling with injuries to Georgia Wareham, Sophie Molineux, and Tayla Vlaeminck, the availability of Beth Mooney for the remainder of the Women’s Ashes will give a big boost to the defending champions. Mooney is declared fit for the Test and the following three-match ODI series against England.

At present, Mooney has three metal plates in her face, wire on her bottom teeth, and is restricted to eating soup, milkshakes and ice cream through a straw. Despite being on a sort of liquid diet, the fighting cricketer is determined to feature for Australia in the longest format. It will be challenging to see how Mooney maintains her fitness level during the Test. Otherwise an opener in the limited format, Mooney is expected to play in the middle order in the Test.

Beth Mooney is back to practice nets after undergoing surgery. PC: Getty Images
Beth Mooney is back to practice nets after undergoing surgery. PC: Getty Images

Mooney told to SEN Radio, “I’ve got two plates in my chin and one near my ear and a few screws. I don’t think you can speed up a broken bone, it’s going to be broken for five more weeks, but it’s certainly a lot more comfortable now than it was a week or so ago.” She further added that her surgeon had suggested that she could play the second and the third T20I. However, after discussing with the team doctor, the duo decided to focus on Tests and gain complete recovery till then.

Also Read:  Everything You Need to know about Women's Ashes 2021-22 Series

Mooney, who has already played three Tests for Australia, hit the nets ahead of the upcoming Test and was also seen practicing slip fielding and doing the drills. Mooney’s comeback will give the necessary impetus to Australia going into the Test. Together with Ashleigh Gardner, Ellyse Perry and Tahlia McGrath, she will form the core of the Australian middle order.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here