Shabnim Ismail becomes the first South African woman to take 150 ODI wickets

South Africa’s pace machine Shabnim Ismail completed her 150 ODI wickets while playing against India in the 4th ODI of the five-match series on 14th March 2021.

Shabnim Ismail took 5 Wickets against Pakistan in 2nd T20I. PC: Twitter
Shabnim Ismail took 5 Wickets against Pakistan in 2nd T20I. PC: Twitter

She achieved this feat when she took down India’s Smriti Mandhana in the initial overs of the 4th match. She is one of the fastest bowlers in world cricket. She is also the first South African player to have taken 150 wickets, and the 7th player worldwide.

Making her international debut in the year 2007, Ismail has been a crucial part of the South African side with her brilliance with the ball. She was voted as ICC’s player of the month in January 2021. Having played 105 ODIs and 95 T20Is, she has a total of 256 wickets to her name.

Let’s look at some of Shabnim Ismail’s bowling achievements:

• The maximum number of ODI wickets- 31 out of the total in her bag have come against Pakistan Women, followed by 30 against Sri Lanka.
  • She has picked a maximum of her wickets- 61 out of 150 at her home ground South Africa.
  • She picked the most number of wickets in the year 2017 accounting for 23.
  • Her ODI career-best bowling figures are 6/10
Also Read:  Decade in Review: Top T20I wicket takers

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here