Match 1: Ireland v South Africa Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

The three-match T20I series between Ireland and South Africa will be played from June 3 to June June 8 at Pembroke Cricket Club in Dublin. The first T20I of the three-match series will be played on June 3.

The three-match T20I series will be followed by a three-match ODI series between the same two teams. The ODI leg of the bilateral series will be played as a part of the 2022-25 ICC Women’s Championship (IWC).

Match 1: Ireland v South Africa Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

Head-to-Head

Ireland and South Africa have played 10 T20Is against each other with Ireland winning one and South Africa winning nine.

Squads

Ireland: Gaby Lewis (captain), Alana Dalzell, Rachel Delaney, Georgina Dempsey, Sarah Forbes, Shauna Kavanagh, Arlene Kelly, Sophie MacMahon, Jane Maguire, Kate McEvoy, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Celeste Raack, Mary Waldron

South Africa: Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Trisha Chetty, Nadine de Klerk, Lara Goodall, Shabnim Ismail, Ayabonga Khaka, Sune Luus (captain), Nonkululeko Mlaba, Raisibe Ntozakhe, Tumi Sekhukhune, Andrie Steyn, Chloe Tryon, Delmi Tucker, Laura Wolvaardt

Players to watch

Gaby Lewis:

In the absence of regular captain Laura Delany, Gaby Lewis will lead Ireland in the South Africa series. She is a right-handed batter and a right arm leg spinner. She has played 48 T20Is since her international debut in 2014, scoring 995 runs, including a century and five half-centuries. She also has three T20I wickets to her name.

Arlene Kelly: 

This right-handed batter from Auckland is known for her attacking style of play. She was called to play for the Dragons as an overseas player in the 2022 Arachas Super Series in Ireland. In the past, she played for Malahide Cricket Club during her time in Ireland. Apart from her batting, she can bowl right arm medium pace.

Also Read:  Harmanpreet Kaur to miss 1st T20I against South Africa due to injury, Smriti Mandhana to Lead

Laura Wolvaardt:

She is a right-handed opening batter of South Africa. This prolific batter has featured in 33 T20Is and muscled 588 runs at a strike rate of 115. She also has three half-centuries in the T20I format. She will be the key to South Africa’s batting in the absence of big names like Lizelle Lee, Dane van Niekerk and Marizanne Kapp.

Shabnim Ismail:

She is the bowling spearhead of South Africa. The right arm speedster is one of the best in the business. With 110 wickets in 98 T20Is, she is the leading wicket-taker of South Africa in the said format. A good new ball bowler, she has lethal bouncers in her repertoire. 

Pitch

This venue has hosted just the one women’s T20I so far. It was played in 2018 between Ireland and Bangladesh. More than 300 runs were scored in that match and a total of eight wickets fell. The wicket is expected to be batting friendly with some assistance to the bowlers. The cloudy conditions could make the batting a bit difficult while bowlers will look to exploit the same.

Weather

The weather is expected to see variable cloudiness with a couple of thunderstorms. The average temperature will be around 16 degrees Celsius. As per the forecast, there is an 84 percent chance of rain and 87 percent cloud cover. The wind will blow from the east-northeast.

Fantasy Playing XI

Shauna Kavanagh, Gaby Lewis, Lara Goodall, Laura Wolvaardt, Arlene Kelly, Chloe Tryon, Leah Paul, Sune Luus, Ayabonga Khaka, Shabnim Ismail, Celeste Raack

Also Read:  1st ODI: Ireland v South Africa Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

Match details

Date: June 3, 2022

Time: 9 pm IST

Venue: Pembroke Cricket Club, Dublin

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here