2nd T20I – 5 Wicket Haul for Shabnim Ismail and South Africa seal T20I Series 2-0

The second T20I between South Africa and Pakistan was played on Sunday at Durban. With South Africa leading the three-match T20I series, 1-0, it was a must-win game for Pakistan to keep the series alive.

Shabnim Ismail took 5 Wickets against Pakistan in 2nd T20I. PC: Twitter
Shabnim Ismail took 5 Wickets against Pakistan in 2nd T20I. PC: Twitter

Winning the toss and electing to bowl first, Pakistan restricted the hosts to 133-5 in 20 overs. Opening bat Tazmin Brits, who had scored an unbeaten century in the previous game, picked up from where she had left and played yet another masterclass. Brits packed a punch with a 58-ball 66 to provide a solid start to her team. She struck eight boundaries and one six during her entertaining knock. Despite getting off to a good start, the Proteas would have wanted to put up a big score on board, but the middle order did not click, and in the end, the home team could just manage over 130 runs. Anam Amin was the pick of the bowlers for Pakistan as she scalped 2-21 in her four overs.

In reply, Pakistan was reduced to 115-7 in 20 overs, falling short by 18 runs. With the top four batters getting out with single-digit scores, the visitors after the end of six overs were seen struggling at 20-4. Kainat Imtiaz (26), Aliya Riaz (39), and Ayesha Naseem (33) put up some fight but their efforts went in vain as the rest of the batting line-up looked listless. Shabnim Ismail was the wrecker-in-chief as she simply ran through the Pakistani batting order. Ismail ended with figures of 5-12 in her four overs. Marizanne Kapp and Masabata Klass were the other two bowlers who accounted for one wicket apiece.

With this win, South Africa leads the three-match T20I series 2-0. The third and the final T20I between the two sides will be played on February 3 at the same venue. Having lost the ODI series 0-3, Pakistan will look to end the series on some positive note.

Also Read:  Mumbai Indians continue to dominate without Harmanpreet Kaur and Shabnim Ismail

Brief Scores: South Africa 133-5 in 20 overs (T Brits 66, M du Preez 15; A Amin 2-21) beat Pakistan 115-7 in 20 overs (A Riaz 39, A Naseem 33; S Ismail 5-12) by 18 runs

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here