First South African bowler to Scalp 100 T20 International Wickets – Shabnim Ismail

Shabnim Ismail has made South African cricket proud as she becomes the first player, across men’s and women’s cricket to scalp 100 wickets in T20Is. Sri Lanka’s speedster Lasith Malinga is the only other cricketer to pick up a century of wickets in T20Is.

Shabnim Ismail. (Photograph by Mark Metcalfe/ Getty Images)
Shabnim Ismail. (Photograph by Mark Metcalfe/ Getty Images)

The 32-year-old bowler from Cape Town achieved this landmark in the first T20I against Pakistan at Kingsmead Cricket Stadium in Durban on January 29. Ayesha Zafar was her 100th victim as the quick bowler clean bowled the opening bat in the sixth over of the innings.

After the second T20I that was played between South Africa and Pakistan, in which Ismail picked up five wickets, her tally has now reached 106, which makes her the third-highest wicket-taker in Women’s T20I. West Indies’ Anisa Mohammed (120) and Australia’s Ellyse Perry (114) are the top two wicket-takers in Women’s T20Is. The elite club also includes England’s Anya Shrubsole (101), Pakistan’s Nida Dar (98), and India’s Poonam Yadav (95).

Ismail made her T20I debut in 2007 at the age of 19 against New Zealand in Taunton. Since then she has featured in 94 T20Is for South Africa. She has bowled 329.5 overs and picked up 106 wickets at an average of 17.72 and an economy of 5.69. Her best bowling figures came against Pakistan on January 31 in the second T20I when she scalped 5-12 in her four overs. She has accounted for two five wicket-hauls so far.  The first one came against India (5-30 in 3.5 overs) in Johannesburg on February 18, 2018.

Also Read:  Cricket South Africa (CSA) announces annual awards

Bowling Performance of Shabnim Ismail

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
T20Is 94 93 1979 1879 106 5/12 5/12 17.72 5.69 18.6 0 2 0

Source: ESPN Cricinfo 

Opposition-wise bowling performance in T20Is

Opposition Wickets (Matches)
Australia 9 (4)
Bangladesh 8 (5)
England 11 (8)
India 13 (5)
Ireland 8 (5)
New Zealand 5 (4)
Pakistan 25 (12)
Sri Lanka 11 (7)
Thailand 3 (1)
West Indies 13 (6)
Total 106 (94)

Source: ESPN Cricinfo

Ismail has been leading the South African bowling attack for quite some time and there has been seldom any doubt that she is a vital cog in the Proteas’ line-up.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here