Rosemary Mair and Izzy Gaze called up for Sri Lanka tour that starts 22nd June

In an exciting development, Central Hinds bowler Rosemary Mair and Auckland Hearts wicketkeeper Izzy Gaze have been included in the White Ferns squad for the upcoming bilateral series in Sri Lanka. The two players are set to make a comeback after missing out on previous tours and major tournaments.

Rosemary Mair and Izzy Gaze called up for Sri Lanka tour that starts 22nd June. PC: Getty Images
Rosemary Mair and Izzy Gaze called up for Sri Lanka tour that starts 22nd June. PC: Getty Images

Rosemary Mair, who last played for the White Ferns during the Commonwealth Games in August, was unable to participate in last year’s tour to the West Indies, the Bangladesh series, and the T20 World Cup earlier this year. Similarly, Izzy Gaze, selected as wicketkeeping cover for Bernadine Bezuidenhout, was part of the victorious White Ferns squad in the ODI and T20I series against the West Indies but missed out on selection for the T20 World Cup in South Africa.

White Ferns head coach Ben Sawyer expressed his enthusiasm for the return of both players, stating, “We’re excited to have Rosemary and Izzy back. They have shown great dedication to improving their game since their last international tours, and we look forward to seeing how they tackle the challenges that this tour will bring.”

Sawyer further added, “Both players bring unique strengths to the group, and we hope they will contribute to what we anticipate to be a successful tour.”

The upcoming tour to Sri Lanka marks the White Ferns first-ever bilateral series in the country. While only Sophie Devine and Suzie Bates have prior experience playing in Sri Lanka, during the White Ferns 2012 T20 World Cup campaign, the rest of the squad is eager to embrace this new challenge.

Led by captain Sophie Devine, the squad comprises several experienced international players, including Melie Kerr, Lea Tahuhu, and Maddy Green. The young spin group consisting of Eden Carson and Fran Jonas, alongside Kerr, is expected to thrive in the dry sub-continent conditions.

Also Read:  Where to watch Warm-up Match 3 – New Zealand vs South Africa Women? Live Streaming Details

Coach Sawyer expressed his excitement at the opportunity to work with the squad in unfamiliar testing conditions. He emphasized the need for quick adaptation to the unfamiliar playing conditions, as well as the hot and humid weather in Sri Lanka. The team’s previous exposure to similar conditions in the West Indies and India should prove beneficial in preparing for this tour.

However, the White Ferns will be missing the services of Auckland Hearts batter Lauren Down and Otago Sparks allrounder Hayley Jensen due to personal reasons and a recovery period following knee surgery, respectively. Additionally, Canterbury Magicians batter Kate Anderson will also be unavailable due to a finger injury sustained during winter training.

White Ferns head coach Ben Sawyer will be supported by a talented coaching staff, including batting coach Dean Brownlie, spin bowling coach Craig Howard, and tour coach Sriram Krishnamurthy from the Chennai Super Kings academy, who will join the group upon their arrival in Sri Lanka.

The White Ferns tour to Sri Lanka is scheduled as follows:

Date Match Venue Time (NZT)
June 27 1st ODI Galle International Stadium 4:30 PM
June 30 2nd ODI Galle International Stadium 4:30 PM
July 3 3rd ODI Galle International Stadium 4:30 PM
July 6 Warm-up T20 vs Sri Lanka President’s XI Colombo Cricket Club 4:30 PM
July 8 1st T20I P Saravanamuttu Stadium 4:30 PM
July 10 2nd T20I P Saravanamuttu Stadium 4:30 PM
July 12 3rd T20I P Saravanamuttu Stadium 4:30 PM

(Inputs and quotes sourced from NewZealand Cricket)

Sports have always been a huge part of my life, and having played cricket professionally for my state team, I gained a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the world of sports. With an eye for detail and passion for sports, I’m hoping to make a lasting impact in the sports industry.

Also Read:  2nd ODI: Sri Lanka vs New Zealand | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Germany Women’s National Cricket Team Belgium Women’s National Cricket Team France Women’s National Cricket Team
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket