Suzie Bates becomes most Capped White-Ball Player in Women’s Cricket History

The New Zealand all-rounder Suzie Bates became the most capped white-ball player after appearing in the second T20I between England and New Zealand. With 322 matches, she surpassed Mithali Raj’s 321 matches in the white-ball format. The White Ferns have produced many cricketing talents across men’s and women’s cricket, and Suzie Bates is definitely one of those incredible talents who continues to reach new heights.

Suzie Bates becomes most Capped White-Ball Player in Women's Cricket History
Suzie Bates becomes most Capped White-Ball Player in Women’s Cricket History

Former Indian cricketer Mithali Raj previously held the record for the most capped player in limited-overs formats with 321 appearances, comprising 232 matches in ODIs and 89 matches in T20Is, before being excelled by Suzie Bates. The right-hand batter is also four runs shy of completing 10,000 international runs, becoming the first New Zealand cricketer to do so.

Inspired by New Zealand’s triumph in the 2000 Women’s ODI World Cup, Suzie Bates started her cricketing career in 2006, making her debut in an ODI against India. At 36, she continues to be one of the stalwarts in women’s cricket. She is also a double international, having played for New Zealand in basketball at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Against India, she scored her first fifty, which came in her second ODI match, with her first century coming against the same side. Five years after her debut, in 2011, she was offered the captaincy of the New Zealand side and led the team in the 2013 and 2017 Women’s ODI World Cups. She was also the Player of the Tournament in the 2013 World Cup edition.

In the 2018 tri-series in England, which also involved the Proteas, she scored her first T20I century against South Africa and completed her 100th T20I match in the same series. In the same year, during the 2018 Women’s T20 World Cup, she completed 3000 T20I runs, becoming the first male or female cricketer to do so. In an ODI match against South Africa, she played her 300th international match, becoming the first cricketer to appear in as many games for the New Zealand women’s cricket team.

Also Read:  Video: 7-Year-Old Girl from Pune impresses Mithali Raj with her Republic Day speech

Suzie Bates, who often bats in the top order, has played over 163 ODI matches, amassing over 5700 runs with 34 fifties and 13 centuries, and has taken 78 wickets. In T20Is, she has played over 159 matches to date, scoring over 4200 runs with 28 fifties and one century, and has claimed 58 wickets. Her longevity in her 18-year career has seen her break several milestones, making her a stalwart of the game.

Most capped white ball player in women’s international cricket:

Suzie Bates – 322* matches
Mithali Raj – 321 matches
Ellyse Perry – 301 matches
Harmanpreet Kaur – 299 matches
Charlotte Edwards – 286 matches

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here