Ireland women’s team to host Netherland for a 4-match T20I series in Late July

The green jersey will be seen once again on the green turf when the Ireland women take on the Netherland women in a 4-match T20I contest starting July 26 with all matches scheduled to be played at Malahide.

Ireland vs Thailand
Ireland vs Thailand. Pic Credits: crickerireland.ie

The Irish women must be high on confidence after defeating the Scotland team by 3-1 in a similar T20I contest last month. The team will go to England next week for a one-off match against the Lancashire Women at the Old Trafford in Manchester.

This series will give both the teams some experience and practice for the upcoming T20 World Cup European Qualifier which sees the participation of teams from France, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland, and Turkey. The qualifier is scheduled to start exactly one month after the start of this series, i.e., August 26-30 at the La Manga in Spain.

Ireland Women's Cricket Team. PC: Twitter
Ireland Women’s Cricket Team. PC: Twitter

The qualifier was supposed to be held in Scotland but was recently shifted to Spain due to some strict COVID restrictions in Scotland.

Spectators will be allowed but in a limited capacity due to the decline in COVID-19 cases in the host country.

Ed Joyce, Head Coach of Ireland Women, said, “It was great to see the character and determination emerge from this young squad after we went 1-0 down in the Scotland series last month. To turn it around and dominate the following three matches told me a lot about the focus and competitive edge that this squad possesses. Indeed, that last squad was missing some of our key players, so to see a number of our emerging talent step up and shoulder responsibility was very encouraging.”

Also Read:  Shane Deitz appointed as Netherlands' first full-time women's head coach

“As always, the more competitive cricket we can get for the squad, the better – and we appreciate the Dutch side traveling over during what are still challenging times. We look forward to another competitive series, and – with the Lancashire Women match next week – this will be an important month for our preparations ahead of our T20 World Cup Qualifier in August.”

Shane Deitz, Head Coach of Netherlands Women, said, “It’s fantastic that the KNCB and Cricket Ireland have been able to put this tour together in these circumstances. Our team has had many tours postponed and it has been a long time since we have been able to go and play against some quality opposition in quality conditions. I am excited to see the team play and I know the girls are very excited about the opportunity. This will be a superb build-up for the European qualifiers in Spain and for us to work out some combinations and try a few things.”

Schedule:

26 July 2021: Ireland Women v Netherlands Women – 1st T20I

27 July 2021: Ireland Women v Netherlands Women – 2nd T20I

29 July 2021: Ireland Women v Netherlands Women – 3rd T20I

30 July 2021: Ireland Women v Netherlands Women – 4th T20I

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here